• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting worried :( UPDATE...on the mend :D

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Blackie ate less food on Sunday Night but was passing poo and drinking so i thought he would be fine.
Monday Night he didnt eat at all but was drinking so i took him to the vet yesterday morning and they done a dental as he had slight spurs forming on his molars! When he got home he was acting his normal self and drank some water, when his food was put down to him he didnt eat any (which is normal he eats during the night) but after waking up this morning he hasnt eaten anything :(:(:(
I have a vet appointment this morning to go back and do some tests!

Does anyone have a clue on what could be wrong?
I think he may have a blockage as he has been moulting for a good couple of months! If it is what is the treatment for a blockage? and how would they tell if it is a blockage or even bloat?

Thanks for any advice im really worried for my boy :(:(:(

Last edited:
If it's bloat, you need to get the bun to a vet immediately. Put your hand on the stomach, is there a hard expansion like a ball. If so, go to a vet, they can die in 12 hr.

To prevent further fur blockage:

Rabbit stomach can have a lot of problem to digest the fur. It can block their intestine.

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will
get fur in their body

At the same time, buy some papaya & pineapple enzyme chew, give 2 tablet weekly, say one on Wed. and one on Sat., the enzyme will
break down the fur in their stomach

You can go w/ the idea of pineapple juice, if it's small bun, I would syringe feed 12 ml per bun once every 2 days or so

Didn't the vet give him some Metaclopromide and a painkiller? That is the usual procedure for a rabbit who isn't eating.
If they don't give it this time it's time to find another vet :?

Thanks for the replies :wave:
His tummy doesnt feel harder than usual so hopefully not bloat!

He got a pain killer injection after his dental but no other injections as the vet thought it was the spurs stopping him eating! He does know about rabbits but doesnt have a degree with small animals!
If after the appointment today he doesnt help i will go to the other veterinary practice as i know there is a rabbit savvy vet there! I just like and have worked with my usual vet :)

Just leaving for vets now! Wish Blackie luck its not anything major :(

Update

:)Ok he seems better now, the vet gave him an injection to help kick start his gut(cant remember name) and gave me Liquid Paraffin to give him orally 3 times a day and he is going back tomorrow to see how he is :)

When i had gotten him home i put him in his cage and offered him a treat which he took, so i gave him a fresh bowl of food and some nice clean hay and he has had a nibble of hay :D:D:D:D

Fingers crossed he is on the mend and that from now on he will eat :D

I have the bromelan(sp) tablets that i give once a week to each bun, would it be a good idea to give him half a tablet daily until his moult finishes? Its just he doesnt like fresh pineapple or pineapple juice :roll:

would giving a probiotic in His water be ok with the liquid paraffin? Its the probiotic from pets at home as im out of avipro!
:wave:

Also if i have to step in and syringe water (he is drinking little and often) how much and how often? He is 2.3kg if that is needed?
:D:wave:

Last edited:
give him 50 to 100 ml of water per KG , and since you are feeding him w/ liquid, go w/ pineapple juice.

I give probiotic on the surface of spinach, so I know when he finish off eating the spinach, the probiotics are consumed

if your bun is shedding fur heavily, 1 or 2 bromelain won't be enough, as there are too much fur. You have to go w/ the idea I post at the top

Back