• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Got into chocolate. Anything to do?

Deanna01

New Kit
Hi, all. My rabbit got into a bar of dark chocolate my kids had left out and ate perhaps an ounce and a half of it. :( Is there anything at all to be done for this, or is he certain to die? We just lost our dog to cancer last week, and my daughter feels so awful...

Don't panic....he is in no way certain to die.

Give him lots of hay and keep a close eye on him..I'm sure bunnies have eaten worse and survived..if there is any change in his behaviour of if he goes off his food/stops pooing them I would take him to the vets :)

Might be worth giving your vet a call to see what they have to say, the will have an out of hours number to call.

Hope he's ok

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem last week, though my bun had eaten milk chocolate. I rang my vets who advised that dark chocolate is worse than milk but your bun should be ok, will just have a massive sugar rush. Give plenty of watery foods such as carrots, cucumber, apple etc and keep an eye making sure poos are ok. Sorry to hear about your dog. If in any doubt, phone vets. Mine were fantastic and phoned some poison people in London

Bunny seems okay so far. How soon would symptoms show up? It's been about 13 hours now. He is drinking a lot of water, which I assume is good.

I called our vet, and he said the most important thing to watch for is diarrhea. What foods can I give to help with that issue? Just hay? Will it be obvious if he is having diarrhea?

Thank you for your help.

Oh, thank you. That looks as though he would have shown symptoms by now, if he were likely to. I can't believe he could eat that much unscathed, but he seems fine, and it's been about 18 hours now.

our frenchie doe who passed last oct scared us stupid...shed gone into the kitchen investigating like she always did overnite and on the side was half a box if dark chocs my mum had been given..eaten half and given them to us..id eaten two and said yeuk..so was ready for binning in daylight. um she was very tall..stood on her hind legs she could put her fronmt paws on our kitchen worktop:shock: of ocurse anyhting too near the edge was hers..and if not shed get our boycat salem to go accidentally knock stuff off the worktop for her:roll:

to say we were worried sick..she scoffed the rest of the layer bar the coffee cream one which shed spat out:oops::shock: she never even got tummy ache!!
our vet then said it was amzing she never got theobromine poisoning:oops:

she had guts like cast iron and to keep her weight stable we cut her food down and increased her hay which was never ever enough and she used to get moody as she was hungry!!

how shes missed..but i tell you you cant do much if they scoff choccy anyway..apart from what youve done.

dont owrry my poor mum rang me tonite as she was worried sick..her bun had eaten some of her tissue shed dropped on the floor!:lol:

I wanted to let you all know that Hiphop seems not to have suffered at all from the chocolate he got into, thankfully. I suppose the poisoning must really depend on the individual rabbit, as he seems fine. I appreciate all your comments and help.

Back