• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't think Hugo can see properly

Hugbut

Mama Doe
I get the impression Hugo can't see as well as he used to - he seems to be relying on his sense of smell alot more now & i've seen him bump into things a couple of times. Has anyone got a bun with bad eyesight? Are there any specific signs i should look for? He is completely normal in himself but i'm just a bit concerned, could it be linked to the nodular myxi he had? He's going for his vaccine soon so will speak to the vet but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Poor boy :(

It could be a number of things so def worth getting your vet to give him a check over and to have a look at his eyes, may suggest blood tests too for any underlying probs that may be causing him to lose his sight.

Hope its nothing serious.

:wave:

My boy Phillip can't see (he had a major eye/tear duct infection when i got him) and it doesn't seem to cause him any distress at all. He relies a bit on his bunny girlfriend to warn him of danger (his sister died a little while ago and he was very tense when he was on his own, always listening and never seemed to relax) and doesn't really run anywhere but apart from that he is fine. He can find his food with no problem and likes to wander around the garden and only seems to bump into stuff if i have inadvertantly moved it :)

ETA: I don't know about any illnesses that could cause it though, sorry. Hope it is nothing serious though xx

I don't know if nodular myxi can cause sight problems or not - Chelsea had nodular myxi and is left with a weepy eye which needs daily bathing but as far as I know she can see ok (she's 10yrs -nearly 11yrs)
My other bun Sooty has age-related lens degeneration where she can't see very well close up( not had nodular myxi) but can still see distances. Her brown eyes look a bit cloudy-blue in the centre. You have to be slow approaching her as she gets skittish if you approach suddenly and can bump into your feet but she's otherwise fine.

I suggest you see a rabbit savvy vet to diagnose the particular type of sight problem so that you can make any necessary adjustments.

Some on here have blind rabbits who lead happy lives but different eye problems need different life-style adjustments so you do need to find out what is wrong-if anything.-Sue:wave:

Back