• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picking up bun

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
Ijust can't seem to pick up a rabbit!

have tried using all advice both from the forum and "personal training" (thanks Angie!) but i just can't do it.

boyfriend reckons i'm too gentle and need to be firmer but i'm so scared of hurting barnsley! tried the towel trick today and he just wiggled free!!

i've been giving him his medicine by waiting until he's really relaxed, and then popping the syringe into his mouth an injecting, it dosn't seem to bother him too much but after i did it tonight, he took great delight in nibbling my hand. i don,t think it was proper 'biting' as it didn't hurt and no blood was shed!!

is this a problem with a bun that may need medicating for life? or do i say to myself - as long as he gets his meds with the least stress it's o.k. ?

emily and barnsley xx

How longhave you had him?

I was like this with ogs, but now i am so much better cos i sit on the ground with him sometimes so he knows he can just get off if needs be.
:wave:

barnsley has only been with me since saturday (21st feb) he has snuffles and it may be a life problem. i have started him on echineaca in his drinking water and he has about 7 days of antibiotics left. he is fine in himself and is getting bolder by the day. wouldn't swap him for the moon and stars!!

emily and barnsley xx

As long as you're getting the meds into him I wouldn't worry.

I think a rabbit can sense when you're hesitant, so you need to build up your courage and think "I can do this".

He'll come to more harm being handled softly where he can wriggle and fall than he will from being held firmly and confidently.

Just keep practicing, and start of on your knees so that if he wriggles out of your grasp he isn't high up.

You probably don't need to pick him up for his meds if you find it difficult. Try kneeling on the floor with bunny between your legs and sit back on your heels so that he can't squirm backwards...he should be wedged into the gap quite snuggly, so you can just pop the syringe in his mouth :)

I never pick B up unless she is in danger or being difficult to get in her carrier for vets.I dropped my 1st housebun and broke her back and have never forgiven myself so my buns pretty much do as they please,although this can be a problem when giving meds!!Usually bribes get her where i want her but if she is being particularly stubborn then i resort to the front lift-1hand scoop up bum whilst other hand under front paws and kept facing away from me as find it easier to get her in carrier that way.Think B gets picked up on average 3times a year!!:lol:

Last edited:

as long as hes getting his meds it realy doesnt matter how as long as it doesnt stress either of you ...;)

if you do want to learn to pick him up you couldnt ask for a better bun to learn with ;)...and i agree you have to be firm ... ;)

if you feel nervous then try to pretend you arnt ... dont hang about thinking about it ... just do it .. dont lift him too high in case he wriggles and you drop him and hell be fine ;)

practise and practice.. lift and put straight bacvk down till you get more confident .. :D

thanks!

thanks for all the advice, i will keep trying.

I WILL PICK UP BARNSLEY
I WILL PICK UP BARNSLEY
I WILL PICK UP BARNSLEY

MANTRA! MANTRA! MANTRA!

if only to have a bunny snugglecuddle!!

emily x

When I first got Eclipse he was a total night mare! The day I got him I was wearing a white tshirt.. which by the end of the day was covered in my blood due to bunny claws :shock: I have now trained him to hop into his carrier to be transported from his hutch to his run, so he rarely has to be handld now :) He is so much better than he was when I got him :love: Still a stroppy moo though :lol:

Back