• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed Today

Scamps Mummy

Young Bun
Hi

We had our little girl spayed today, we bought her home about 3.30 this afternoon. Bless her, she's hopping around a little bit and she does look in pain so, she's a nervous little thing and normally if we go near her she runs away so when we first got her home she went behind our sofa. We've put her into her cage as we think she feels safer in there anyway so wont feel the need to keep running away from us when she feels so poorly.

she's cant seem to get comfy and the only place she can settle is in her litter tray, which is full of hay. I've read on previous threads that laying in hay could irritate her wound. We've also put her comfy bed in her cage and there is also a smooth piece of floor to lay in there too

My main concern is that on the notes the vet gave us it said that if she hasn't eaten tonight we need to make an appointment by 9am tomorrow - we've offered her lots of foods and treats - hay, hay cakes, grapes, apples, nuggets, cress, dried rabbit fruit treats but she isn't interested. we've also made a list of exactly all the food she has in her cage so we know exactly what she's eaten

Does anybody have any suggestions how long until she'll start to eat? she's normally a very hungry bunny x

It's not unusual for buns not to want to eat on the night they are spayed but keep trying to tempt her. Can you go on a foraging mission to see if you can find any dandelions and long grass? they are often the first things to go, or other juicy leaves like spring greens. A little juicy pear may tempt her, or grated carrot or parsley :)

I would keep her confined to cage until she's had her post op check.Girlies take a bit longer to start eating-they've had a bigger op than boys.Probably find she'll eat overnight,could you put paper in her litter tray? Sending lots of healing vibes her way:)

We found some dandelion in the garden so tried her on that, which she ate which is good news but as it was the first time she'd tried it (We got in in winter so she hasn't been in garden much) so I dont want her too have too much of it in one go

Yeah, though so far its only dandelion shes eating, I guess if she hasn't eaten anything else by tomorrow I should still give vets a ring x

If she normally has pellets to eat ou could trying mashing some up in boiled water, let it cool and then try her with it. My two ate over night after their spay, I just left the bowl in with them. They do feel poorly and sleepy at first but as she has eaten a little I am sure this is a good sign.

Back