• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green Fields Closed

I would like to wish Lorna and Jamie good wishes. They worked so hard for years with their rescue.

Hopefully the CCTV will make owners more responsible in the rehoming of their rabbits.

http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/news2.asp?newsID=91

Question the definition of "partially" as she is threatening to prosecute anyone leaving rabbits on her doorstep but hey!

Considering it's illegal and puts any rabbit in the rescue at risk of coccidia, myxi and any other contagious diseases I don't think it's too harsh of her to do this - it's a sad fact but rescues do have to say no eventually and if people aren't accepting this and dumping pets she has to do something to prevent her numbers getting out of control

It's such a shame that so many people take these rescues for granted.

I get fed up of people saying "you're supposed to be an animal charity and you won't help me" but most of these people have never thought to put their hand in their pocket to help support these charities, and fail to recognise that they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for the animals welfare.

We had two heavily pregnant cats dumped at work on Sunday morning in a cardboard box - no history no nothing and no donation as usual!

I applaud anyone who can set up as a rescue because it must take over most of their life and it must be so difficult for them to say they have to close.

Are they members here at RU? As I don't know this rescue center, I think this is the first time I've heard of them

greenfields is in berkshire i believe they are now closed to new cases but take boarders only and have a few bunnys left there who are un rehomable or slim chance of rehoming. x

Lorna has worked hard for years and has been involved in some huge rescue cases.

Not surprised she needs a break.

Thats a really shame for her & can fully sympathise. We do not publish our address as we don't want bunnies dumped. It would be different if we had a dedicated rescue center but we cannot always guarantee that someone will be there & our main site is someones back garden so there is a privacy issue too.

We had someone phone up last night wanting to know if we'd take their ferret :D Chloe had to explain that as a rabbit rescue we don't know anything about ferrets & how to look after them & that as they eat bunnies it probably wouldn't be a good idea!

None of the Bristol rabbit rescues have their address on their websites, I always wondered why as I wanted to know how close to me they were. I never clicked it might be so they don't have pets dumped on the doorstep.

Are they members here at RU? As I don't know this rescue center, I think this is the first time I've heard of them
This is a rescue centre that Nix, Helen and myself all helped out at.

To be honest, knowing the mentality of people today, I always thought it was brave of Lorna to have the sign outside her house advertising the fact that it was a rabbit rescue.

Not wishing to lay a guilt trip on anyone but due to the closure of this and Bracknell Rabbit Rescue last year, we have no options left for unwanted bunnies.... I wonder if the council could take this into account when issuing licenses to sell livestock to pet shops. (I'm on planet Jill agan :oops::( )

I have 2 Oxfords (Portia and Maisy), plus Barney and Ziggy from GF. 3 are from BRR and 1 was from someone in the midlands.

There really are few options around here now. RSPCA Reading Rabbits only take in direct from the inspector, and although they do as much as they can (and have been doing it forever so hopefully no danger of rescue "burn out") they have never had the capacity of BF or BRR.

Back