• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will he calm down?

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Joey has become almost ubelievably annoying lately. I know he needs neutered and before that he was a sweet little bun who was still lively and "dog-like" just not...you know all crazy like he is now.
Will getting neutered stop this? Bring him back to his old self? Also why is Scooch (is brother) not acting like this even though he is the same age?? Although he did start the ...humping first...

Hi Kerry,

That sounds like our bun before he was neutered..

he was the cutest little thing, but had this kind of dark side (hormonal aggression) sort of thing, and he would torpedo my girlfriend grunting and growling at her, and biting her.. sometimes literally hanging of her ankle with his teeth.

then jump on her and either bite her or umm...spray her!.. she had to walk around with boots on cuz he kept attacking her..

but afterr he was done it all settled down, though it can take a few weeks for all of the hormones to fully settle etc.. now he's soft as muck, and still chases teddy aggressively, but instead of wanting to hump it.. he just pets it etc...:oops:

M

Neutering should calm him down - It takes about 6 weeks approx for hormones to calm down (apparently).
With regard to behaviour though:
Does he have enough to occupy him during the day?
Perhaps he needs more stimulation (i.e. make him forage for his food, hide veg/pellets in hay, or put them in a toilet roll inner stuffed with hay or get a ball with a gap in it so that he has to work for food or willow ) - there are some great ideas for toys etc on this forum which others have made which are quite inexpensive too.

Good luck

Hi Kerry,

That sounds like our bun before he was neutered..

he was the cutest little thing, but had this kind of dark side (hormonal aggression) sort of thing, and he would torpedo my girlfriend grunting and growling at her, and biting her.. sometimes literally hanging of her ankle with his teeth.

then jump on her and either bite her or umm...spray her!.. she had to walk around with boots on cuz he kept attacking her..

but afterr he was done it all settled down, though it can take a few weeks for all of the hormones to fully settle etc.. now he's soft as muck, and still chases teddy aggressively, but instead of wanting to hump it.. he just pets it etc...:oops:

M

lamo yep sounds like Joey!! it's only me he bites and chases lmao but yeah that's good to know I'll have him booked in next week hopefully!

Neutering should calm him down - It takes about 6 weeks approx for hormones to calm down (apparently).
With regard to behaviour though:
Does he have enough to occupy him during the day?
Perhaps he needs more stimulation (i.e. make him forage for his food, hide veg/pellets in hay, or put them in a toilet roll inner stuffed with hay or get a ball with a gap in it so that he has to work for food or willow ) - there are some great ideas for toys etc on this forum which others have made which are quite inexpensive too.

Good luck

yeah thanks I'll try to put more things in :) He has a two story hutch and likes to play chase with me lol if he knows I've opened the lid at the top he shooots up and if I'm changing his food downstairs he comes runnin down so he probs does need more stuff to do also. I like giving him little toilet rolls to chew

Last edited:
My Monty was like this after approx 2 months of living with us, he kept biting my o/h:oops: neutering calmed him down (monty not o/h:shock:)..... but also 12 months later audrey came along and he is even more relaxed now he has a lady friend to keep him in check......she's a calming influence:D
good luck
xx

My Monty was like this after approx 2 months of living with us, he kept biting my o/h:oops: neutering calmed him down (monty not o/h:shock:)..... but also 12 months later audrey came along and he is even more relaxed now he has a lady friend to keep him in check......she's a calming influence:D
good luck
xx

lol well I had to seperate him and his brother because they begun fighting, so I can't wait to get the pair back in cus I see Scooch trying to get to him when joey is running around the room.

Back