• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H Adoption Rabbits-Where From?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I noticed the other week that my local branch of Pets@Home have now got an adoption part in the store.
They had a rabbit there, with a card saying his name & that his 'owners didn't have room for him'.
It made me wonder where the adoption rabbits (& other animals) come from - are they from a rescue or are they animals that have been brought back by people that have purchased them from the stores, as I understand that most of their stores now seem to have this section?

From what i gather, its either animals they cant sell in their shops, or its animals the public bring in for rehoming :) I guess its like a normal rescue... i bet they have buns etc dumped outside the shops etc :( xXx

I was told by someone who works there that alot of the animals in the adoption part are 'stock' that haven't sold and are too big to keep with the baby buns but they did also say that some of them are pets that people have brought in that they no longer want/can keep.I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, i've had a bun from their adoption bit - she was handed in as part of a large group as the person was 'emigrating'. The fact that she turned out to be a dental bun must've been a coinsidence :roll:

the pets at home near me have this and i ended up rehoming a guinea pig that wasn't putting on weight at his Owners instead of getting him checked out p@h just left him in the cage at back of store thankfuly once on correct diet he soon put on weight and thrived

Ive only saw one rabbit in our local adoption that siad he was to old to be with the baby bunnies, most are just brought back from owners.

In Frost'ys case he wasnt even brought back he was dumped outside and spent 2 weeks in the back of there store regrowing his fur back befre being rehomed:(

we got buster from pets at home adoption centre. He had a nose infection and had to be taken to the vets. He was really jumpy and his 'card' said that he was with a family that had kids that didnt look after him properly

i saw degus for sale the once... then they were sold... 2 months later they (well i assume same ones) were up for adoption... what a huge shame in their short lives to already be gotten rid of :cry::cry::cry:

The majority of animals we get handed in haven't been sold from our store and are not 'old stock'. In Leicester there is an abundance of small pet shops that really don't care who they sell animals to, but won't help when things don't quite pan out.

We have had a rabbit with syphillis dumped in a carrier bag. We have had a rabbit brought in by a carer who removed the bun because it was being kept in a hamster cage. We have rabbits brought in that have been bought at Melton Market and Coalville animal auctions. We've had a couple of rabbits brought in by people who said that the previous owners of their new house left the rabbit. One of them I had to take straight to the vets to be pts because of a massive perforated abcess on its dewlap (also emaciated and in a bad way).

What I'm trying to say is don't presume that all the animals wanting homes are 'old stock'. Believe me they're not.

The majority of animals we get handed in haven't been sold from our store and are not 'old stock'. In Leicester there is an abundance of small pet shops that really don't care who they sell animals to, but won't help when things don't quite pan out.

We have had a rabbit with syphillis dumped in a carrier bag. We have had a rabbit brought in by a carer who removed the bun because it was being kept in a hamster cage. We have rabbits brought in that have been bought at Melton Market and Coalville animal auctions. We've had a couple of rabbits brought in by people who said that the previous owners of their new house left the rabbit. One of them I had to take straight to the vets to be pts because of a massive perforated abcess on its dewlap (also emaciated and in a bad way).

What I'm trying to say is don't presume that all the animals wanting homes are 'old stock'. Believe me they're not.

you must find it heartbreaking :cry::cry:

you must find it heartbreaking :cry::cry:

It's been an eye opener. I confess that I find it hard to hold my tongue and on occasions I haven't managed to do so. The longer I work with animals (even in this capacity), the more I find it hard to tolerate people.

It's been an eye opener. I confess that I find it hard to hold my tongue and on occasions I haven't managed to do so. The longer I work with animals (even in this capacity), the more I find it hard to tolerate people.

im not surprised... we need lovely peeps like you in our petshops too.. the lad who sold us stella really seemed to love the chippies and seemed quite sad she was leaving... she was the last one in the cage and had been there a while... i felt for him when he had to weigh up sell sell sell or whats best for the baby girl he was selling to me.. he very tactfully told us the cage they sold was not big enough for a pair, i hope i assured him enough that we wouldnt keep her in that tiny metal cell anylonger than we had too... i guess our promises of a better life would sound all too familiar tho :(

Thanks everyone & a big thank you to Lspacehopper - I was hoping someone who worked at P@H would be able to answer this :thumb:

We got Graham from P@H adoption centre and he was in there because he was fighting with the other bunnies in another P@H store. Needless to say he wasnt neutered and was a few months older than the others he was house with!

Most of our adoption animals in our store come from either a garden centre that claims to be one of the best pet shops in Wiltshire but they still keep rabbits and guineas together, or they come from a farm park that breeds and sells pets. So far only 4 hamsters, 2 rabbits, and a guinea pig have actually been from our store originally. We have had a few dumped at our warehouse door, some are brought in by families who can't keep them anymore, some of these are genuine, the majority i think just cant be bothered with them. We have an elderly bun in at the moment called Sooty who was left to fend for herself in a garden after her owners moved out, a guinea pig who was crawling with mites when he came in. Personally I think the adoption is brilliant as there are no small animal rescues in our area that I know of, the downside is that I find myself clearing up other shops disasters.

Sue at Southampton Rabbit Rescue is probably closest to you Loosing the Plot :wave:

Our local is quite good they usually specify if the animal is ex stock :)

Sue at Southampton Rabbit Rescue is probably closest to you Loosing the Plot :wave:

Our local is quite good they usually specify if the animal is ex stock :)

Do u know if they are partnered with the southampton store? or would they mind me contacting them? Im a little nervous about contacting some rescues after previous experiences.

In my local pets at home the adoption cases usually come from a rescue as they have a file with information in about the rescue alongside the adoption cages. I'm sure you get the odd one which is "unwanted" stock though.

Just wondered what happens to the 'old stock'? Is there any articles about on pets at home with facts and figures etc of how many are bred and sold each year????

Just interested.......

PS I know this is an old post :oops:

Back