• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Max no. of bunnies together?

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
Hi

Question for the future really as I'm not looking to have any additions at the moment but...

I'd love some mini lops at some point. And I just wondered what people's experiences/opinions are on having more than two buns together. If you did, what sexes would work best? I think my hutch (8ft x 4ft) plus run and garden might be big enough for three or four but how practical would it be? Also would it be better to get them all from one little family - or as rescues and have them bonded?

Sorry if they're silly questions - although I look after other people's rabbits as part of my job (petsitter) I rescued my babies from a previous customer about 6 months ago and not had rabbits previously.

Roz

Hi. I have a trio(2 males and one fiesty female) in a double 5x3 hutch with free access to a run, and they are fine in there. The rabbits don't have to be litter mates and as long as they are neutered, bonding is usually successful, but of course a lot depends on the buns' individual personalities. One way to avoid problems is to take a ready-made group from a rescue here on the forum. Quite often there are pleas for homes for small groups of ready bonded bunsters! Good luck, and keep us updated:)

I got 9 together. I've had 13 together:D They have their own room & then garden or rest-of-house access several times a week:D

Angie how you fixed for bonding my different groups into a group of 15 ;);););) I've not quite plucked up the courage yet! Or found enough valium or vodka to get me through it :shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

I got 9 together. I've had 13 together:D They have their own room & then garden or rest-of-house access several times a week:D

That's amazing! It must be lovely to see them all interacting together...must be so interesting to watch!

I must say you are very brave though! I would be so worried about the bonding :oops:

I always ask myself a set of questions before i get a new rabbit, well a PLANNED rabbit that is :lol:
How much space do I have to offer the buns?
Do i have the time?
Do i have the money?
Do i have the knowledge?
Do i have the space to quarantine/seperate?

If i dont have enough space, to either provide, or give up for a bunny,i dont have the time or money to take on another bun then i wouldnt do it, and i think this is what predicts "max number of bunnys togeather"
I also try and take in to consideration at some point, a bunny may fall out with its partner,become ill and will need seperated from the rest of the group, so that also requires space

Personally, I couldnt cope with no more than 4/5 bunnys because of various factors - though I do admire people who take on ALOT more

I have 2 males and 1 female together, all from completely different backgrounds, all different ages and get on like a house on fire. I'm a happy bunny mummy :D

I have a group of three in a 12x6ft dog kennel run enlcosure thingy mabob.
They love it. Wouldn't keep buns any other way.
They also get atleast 3-4 hours of free ranging a week.
I would, have more bunnies, max 6, but i'm not allowed :(
:wave:

Back