• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey is off to be spayed on Monday.

Hello
Sorry to ask for help as there is so much on here about spaying, but what do I need to do to prepare for Honey to come home afer spaying?

I am borrowing a smallish cage for her and have some new fleece to put on the bottom of it.
I will keep her near the radiator, so she's warm and obviously have all her food water and litter tray to hand too.

She is staying in overnight.
How long roughly will I need to keep her still for? She loves to be free in the dining room and binky, so it will be hard to keep her still.

What medication should she have at home with us?
Will I need to bathe her wound?

She may also have to have work done on her teeth - they are going to have a good look for me.

So she is likely to be feeling very sore.

Just want to make sure I have everything ready for the little girl.

Thanks in advance.

aw good luck for her spaying, yeah just do what your doing, get lots of fresh herbs and tasty things to tempt her with. a little exercise is good as it gets the gut flowing. you could keep her in for 2days cos you'll need to make sure she's eating/pooing etc. i didn't get any meds home for mine but you may be different seeing as she's getting teeth done. good luck for it and let us know how she gets on. :wave:

I wouldn't keep her near the radiator it may be too hot. As long as it is a normal temperature room, eg around 20 degrees, then there shouldn't be any need to be warmer than that.

Don't bathe her wound, just check it a couple times a day. It should grow a scab but if it looks infected or like the stitches are coming apart contact your vet.

Also make sure you are stocked up on all her favourite treats and try and get her to eat. If not luck after 24hrs phone your vet :)

aw good luck for her spaying, yeah just do what your doing, get lots of fresh herbs and tasty things to tempt her with. a little exercise is good as it gets the gut flowing. you could keep her in for 2days cos you'll need to make sure she's eating/pooing etc. i didn't get any meds home for mine but you may be different seeing as she's getting teeth done. good luck for it and let us know how she gets on. :wave:

Thank you.
She only eats a few veggies at the moment- about a couple of inches square, as she hasnt had them before. But I'm sure we can increase it a little more if she needs encouragement to eat.

I hope she will be o.k. I think I'm more worried about what they find with the teeth and roots as it is unknown at the moment and it will mean we will know what the long term future holds with regards to her blocked tear duct.

I'll keep you posted -thanks again

I wouldn't keep her near the radiator it may be too hot. As long as it is a normal temperature room, eg around 20 degrees, then there shouldn't be any need to be warmer than that.

Don't bathe her wound, just check it a couple times a day. It should grow a scab but if it looks infected or like the stitches are coming apart contact your vet.

Also make sure you are stocked up on all her favourite treats and try and get her to eat. If not luck after 24hrs phone your vet :)

Thanks TImboh - great advice as usual!!
I just hope she lets me look at the wound. She's very ticklish on her tummy!

when she's on the floor if you just lift her front paws up you'll be able to see her wound. they should use internal stitches so she won't be able to pull anything out.

when she's on the floor if you just lift her front paws up you'll be able to see her wound. they should use internal stitches so she won't be able to pull anything out.

oh thanks. She is quite a little fatty (hoping she'll lose some weight soon,when she can run around outdoors), so I hope I will be able to see.

Back