• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i need help with long term accommodation

MammaH

Alpha Buck
hey guys i really need help.
my landlord has been in touch and has told me hes found a person for the spare room in my student house, the only problem is she's HIGHLY allergic to rabbits because he asked her but she cant find anywhere else to live
and i know what he's asking me to do but the worst thing is I have no one else to live with in Leeds and I feel so awful thinking about this it's making me sick cause he wants me to get rid of Binx, obviously he isn't going to
turn down a potential tenant just because of an allergy and he was explaining to me that she is a very lovely girl but doesn't want to put her health at risk and he's been lovely about me having a house rabbit cause alot of landlords
do not allow and sort of pets apart from goldfish. Ive spoke to my mum and she won't take him on a long term basis because she works full time and she found him very destructive over the xmas period and she doesnt think he would
be happy in the garage and she doesn't have the time to look after him properly and my boyfriend can't either because his sister is allergic to rabbits too. I feel like crying I really do I don't want to 'get rid' of him thats the last thing I want because he is my little angel. But what i was thinking is if
any of you can I know its alot to ask is to take him in for a year, I PROMISE I wont adandon him I physically couldn't and I will pay for expenses like food, bedding, vaccinations, accommodation and even a thank you for anyone who is willing to help me out. I know its alot to ask because I know you all have your hands full but I don't want him going out of my life forever because I love him so much.
Just somewhere that he can stay and I know he is being taken care of for 12months and like I said I will pay for everything so no one is out of pocket please will some one help
I dont want u all thinking im a terrible bunny mum im not but i have no where else to go in leeds, everyone i know has got accommodation sorted out and a lot of student housing are against pets and i dont want u all hating me and thinking im trying to be a charity case im not i just want to keep binx in my life and not give him to someone who i dont think will care for him i want him in my life for as long as i can and the girl is only in leeds for a year so he can come bk to me when shes gone but i just feel so awful :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think the landlord is being a complete :censored:

What sort of tenancy agreement do you have? When does it expire?

If he has agreed to let you have a rabbit he can't turn around and change his mind. You may want to contact the CAB as they often deal with landlord / tenant problems.

If he has agreed to let you have a rabbit he can't turn around and change his mind. You may want to contact the CAB as they often deal with landlord / tenant problems.

it actually says in the agreement no pets on the property but he said as long as he doesnt wreck anything and none of the 'workers' see him then its oki. but he was a bit iffy about it before and hasnt been around for a while

You need the permission in writing to do anything about it legally and if it says no pets in the tenancy agreement, and you have nothing else in writing to contradict this, then the landlord is well within his rights.

I hope you can find someone to take him, I have been put in this position before and I turned them down because I couldn't physically give up a bunny I had cared for, for a year and I had no idea what may happen to my own circumstances. The bunny in question (Lexie) still lives with me now.

Could Binx become an outdoor bunny? (Obviously once it gets warmer in spring).
Just a thought as it might be a way round the problem.

Hope you find a solution - it sounds like a horrible situation to be in. Good luck!

Do you have to live with a friend, or could you find some others to move in with? i always find places to live through spareroom.co.uk, there's a "pets allowed" function on the search and they state whether they want professional or student housemates too.

good luck with whatever happens, i hope it works out for you.

If he could become an outdoor bunny in June then if no one else comes forward then he could come and board with us here and we could probably work you out a deal on cost seeing as it would be so long term. Our fees include all food, hay, bedding, veggies too so it might not work out as expensive as you think anyway choosing this option. We have a great rabbit savvy vet too and would be happy to take him for his jabs etc give any medication etc when they are due.

If the landlord has verbally agreed to you keeping a rabbit then you shouldn't need it in writting. I would contact the CAB. Does your tenancy expire in June? If so then I guess he could just end your agreement then, but otherwise he can't just change his mind like that.

can you not put him outside instead in a hutch run combo? I don't think that should affect her allergies to much.

The landlord can change his mind, if it specifically excludes pets in the legally binding contract, a verbal agreement in english law is not worth the paper it isn't written on

by all means check with the CAB, but you will find that you won't have a leg to stand on

The landlord has been generous up until now, if you go legal on him or cause him an inconvenience you may well find that both tenant and rabbit will be looking for a new home

I think you have two realistic options
a) find someone to share with and keep the rabbit
b) find someone to look after the rabbit until you are ready to take it back

you could ask the new girl to give the rabbit a trial, but of course they are under no obligation to cooperate, and it may not work out

cant you cover the full rent and not have someone else move in? or find a 1 bed flat for yourself.. i cant imagine it being much more expensive than renting a room :?

thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately the garden isnt big and what it is is my landlord is part of a company he isnt private and they have people that come round the house if anything needs maintaining and they have to report things back to the company eg if people arent looking afterthe property or have something that is breaching the contract and we have a gardener and if there was a hutch then that would be breaching the contract because obviously its on their property and i would get in trouble and the guy that is looking after the house would probably get in trouble too. hes been lovely and i was relieved when he said i could keep binx as long as i was discreet about him and i went home for the day yesterday and my housemate text me saying the landlord was showing someone around. and then this morning he got in touch with me and said that i think her name was emma would be taking over the room in june however as soon as she went to the middle floor (im on the third floor) she started to sneeze and asked if any animals had been in the house cause she was really allergic to cats and she laughed and said rabbits too (this is what my landlord said) and he just said he wasnt aware of any animals in the property (he even lied for me) so if shes having a reaction and shes not even been near my room then she must have a severe allergy to them and i dont want to put someones health at risk and she could even report me and the guy to the company and i dont want that. i had hoped my boyfriend coulda helped but his sister is really allergic to rabbits too she comes out in hives and her skin becomes really itchy :(

cant you cover the full rent and not have someone else move in? or find a 1 bed flat for yourself.. i cant imagine it being much more expensive than renting a room :?

it really is. I work full time and live in a cheap area and I can't even afford a studio flat....the OP is a student and lives in leeds, land of extortionate rent :shock::cry:

it really is. I work full time and live in a cheap area and I can't even afford a studio flat....the OP is a student and lives in leeds, land of extortionate rent :shock::cry:

:shock::shock::shock::shock: id probably go insane if i had to share..

:cry::cry::cry: i cant imagine how horrible it must be

It's not ideal but it's ok if your hosuemates are reasonably clean and tidy. and look:

Rent with bills on one room: £300
Rent with bills on a flat: £500 or more....£600 in leeds :roll:

But before i hijack the thread....MammaH.....could you not board him with someone over summer and find somewhere new to live in September?

As a student it's pretty much the only option for most people, and renting alone is basically at least double if you can't find a one bed place.

I hope you find somewhere for your bunny! Maybe you could break the year down into 3 months blocks so it's not such a committment for someone?

That is so sad. I would take him if I could but don't think that he could get back and forth to the States. Hope that someone can help. A year is not that long and it would be like fostering.

Back