• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do people adopt "dental" buns?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello
A slightly leading question there - but if you saw a bun in rescue who was known to have dental problems - would you take them on, knowing theres obviously the cost of dentals and associated health worries for the rest of their lives?? I know it sounds really selfish but I think if you say "he has teeth problems" it will scare people off.

We've got the most adorable REW Nethie in at the rescue i help out at who came in with severely overgrown incisors - he is having those out today - and his molars were obviously overgrown too. So theres the possibility that he'll need dentals forever now.....so thats why I'm asking - how rehomeable is he? He obviously needs to go to someone who is very clued up and has deep pockets - but does a person like that exist!??

People do adopt them but I imagine it will just take a bit longer finding a willing owner. Please make sure people are aware they are taking on a dental bun to ensure the new owners keep an eye on them and also to ensure they dont get passed back to the recue when they find problems they didnt expect.

Some people do, I taken in a lot of dental bunnies, the majority of mine have regular dentals, because they couldn't be homed, some have other ailments and condition too

I would be willing to home a dental bunny, it doesn't put me off at all but i see what you are saying and i'm sure some people would think twice :?

i have taken on a dental bunny and i do think if you find an experienced owner with funds to take care of a dental bunny then there is hope!

Thanks guys - yes we will be up front about the issues, so I think it will just take a little while longer to find the right person (and I'll be quite protective of him too!).

We don't get many people rehoming so it could be a while before he gets a home. Hopefully his very "human" personality will win people over!

On the plus side, so many bunnys develop dental problems anyway that some people are not able to cope with them when they happen and the bunny ends up back in rescue. At least because you know his problems you are able to tell the owners exactly what they are taking on and what he needs so when he does find the right home it will hopefully be his forever bunny home :)

Rabbits with molar issues seem to be very difficult to home around here, and Honeybunnies rehomes very few. Jill will be able to tell you exact numbers.

I would and have done. I have taken on 3 rabbits knowing they had dental issues and one which developed them later in life.

One of my dental bunnies was infact a Honeybunny but he did have to come outside of the local area to live with me. He has the most severe problems of any dental bunnies I have ever had (even when rescueing myself) and although I was aware he had issues at the time of adoption no-one had realised quite how advanced they were and he has progressively deteriorated since I have had him. Despite this I wouldn't change the grumpy little piglet for the world. :love:

I just wanted to let you know we may be few and far between but there are dental bunny lovers out here :wave::wave:.

We have homed a few of dental bunnies..but to our fosterers:lol:

Sooz very kindly adopted Mackenzie and we are forever grateful for the care she has and is continuing to give him

Isabel also took on Barnaby..now known as Mo and Kizzy now Mist:D

and another lady adopted a bun called Milo quite a while ago

Despite having a vet in Notts and one near Coventry who do dentals without GA for between £10-£15...we find it very hard to home these rabbits

If any of you who have had dentals before would consider one let me know!

And just to point out any bun can develop dental probs..so good to research your options if you are a bunny owner

Last edited:
As I have a dental bun (not known when we got him as baby) I would probably in the future be more inclined to take on one that had dental problems over one that did not as I have a very good vet and I am more aware than I used to be.:D I always seem to go for the ones that others don't want :oops:

I had a dental bun although I didnt know when we got him [but I suspected he might be].I wouldnt have changed him for the world:)

We have homed a few of dental bunnies..but to our fosterers:lol:

Sooz very kindly adopted Mackenzie and we are forever grateful for the care she has and is continuing to give him

And Isabel adopted Kizzy :D

...but I can't think of any more, apart from the ones that the fosterers have adopted

I would take on a dental bun :D but i have 3 of my own so know what im dealing with and split the cost between me and my bf :D

Yep would definitely do this in the future & have done already. We had Alfie, knowing he needed his incisors out & now have Arthur who's no incisors & will need regular dentals. On the plus side, they make good housebuns with no incisors as they can't chew furniture ;):lol:

Our first bun had about 20 dentals over 5 years for bad dental problems - we didn't know this when we took him in as a stray, but it would never put me off in the future. Although new prospective adopters need to know what signs to look for & the additional cost implications of a dental bunny.

I took on two Honeybunnies with dental problems and was very lucky that although they needed regular check ups loads of hay kept them out the chair as it were - in fact Sam's were that bad they pretty much crumbled before needing any work! I have had dental busn since but if I didn't have Rebecca down in Coventry able to do them concious I would think twice before taking on the cost as Shayla, one of my RB dental buns, needed her teeth doing every month.

Back