• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which of you have dogs and rabbits?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Do you let them interact at all and how did you introduce them?

I moved in with a dog, it's not essential that she has any contact with the rabbits but I would like to introduce them and teach her that they are not for hurting, so that if they accidentally got together, nothing bad would happen.

She's very well behaved and has a lovely nature or i wouldn't even consider it. She has seen them in their crate, so far the rabbits are fascinated by the dog and the dog is scared of the rabbits - she likes to watch but won't go close!

Also, if they can coexist under supervision, then when i'm at home the rabbits can have the run of the house which would obviously mean they got lots more exercise.

I have 8 rabbits and 4 dogs. The rabbits are in a separate room where the dogs are not allowed in when we are not there.

Three of our dogs (2 lurchers, 1 pyrenees) would like our rabbits for dinner, so are only ever allowed in that room if all the bunsters are locked away safely in their cages. They have learnt to be calm around them in that situation, but wouldn't trust them for one second if any of the bunnies were out of their cage.

Our fourth dog Jesse, American Cocker Spaniel, was used to the bunnies from 8 weeks old and has no problem with them. He is allowed in the room when the bunnies are out to say hello. I have to watch him though as he tries to play with them if they run... Most of our bunnies are ok with Jesse and are not worried about him at all.

Jesse is however completely fascinated by the birds and the chinchillas because they move so much faster. I don't think he'd hurt them, but I wouldn't want to test it... :?

In a nutshell, yes, we have dogs and bunnies, but their interaction is very limited as it would not be safe.

Vera

Last edited:
two rabbits and one Ralph... we allowed Ralph to sniff Alvin & then his cage when we first got him... at first Ralph used to whine and drool :shock::shock:

we then told pretty much threatened him if he so much as looked wrong at Alvin hed be in trouble.... now he will just move out of the rabbits way but has a sneaky sniff of thier bums as the walk by..:lol::lol:

im not sure really how he knew that the bunny was a no go but i still get the feeling he would protect his food should they go near, so food is not in the same room.....dogs just seem to accept new family members really easily :D

one bunny one pup
my pup loves teh bunny
when i first got the bunny he would sit by his hutch wining because he was behind bars and he doesnt like any kind of confinement
when im there the bun will come over to him and they'll sit together

18 rabbits and one dog! Sam was brought up around the rabbits so is used to them and there used to him, but he is still young and gets very excited so i do have to watch him whilst we're out otherwise he jumps on the runs when the rabs are playing.

We have one rabbit & 2 dogs, they've never bothered with him at all, saying this tho they are not on there own with him, the lab just ignores him where as the rottie will lick him thro the wire :lol: the rottie is protective of him tho, if a cat comes in the garden he's there barking as if to say i can see you and i'm watching you don't hurt my wabbit :lol: i must admit i've always introduced them bit by bit over a period of 8 weeks always done this with any animals i bring in, seems to work ;)

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the rabbits with the dogs. :lol:

When I got Molly I had Penny the spaniel. Luckily she'd grown up with a very mean cat and so she just blanked the rabbits thinking they were cats. With Ludo I have been extremely strict with him. If he tried to chase the buns or showed too much interest in them it would be straight into his crate, or on a lead and harsh words.

I introduced them slowly, to Molly at first as Molly is really calm, doesn't run around a lot and so doesn't create the chase instinct. Faline is pretty tough anyway and boxes at them if they get in her way.

If you can I would introduce the dog to them on a short lead, lots of treats and let the rabbits wander around and investigate, sniffing is ok, but too much interest or anything like chasing is not. Reward with treats when the dog is not showing interest in the buns and then build it up from there.

I have 3 dogs and 8 rabbits and they all run around together absolutely fine - in fact when my buns are free range the dogs stay in the garden to bun-sit them for me if I have to pop in the house.

All three of mine are very gentle natured dogs, and when they first arrived they were allowed to see the rabbits in their enclosures through the wire - luckily all 3 were totally disinterested in the rabbits.

None of the rabbits are worried by the dogs - they actually come up the garden to greet them when they come out.

I'm more worried by Hera, my conti, who puts her head down to the dogs for them to groom her. She gets really narky when they don't know what to do:lol:

iv got 3 dogs and 6 buns and they all get on fine, the dogs have been brought up with the buns and have never had any problems but i never leave them alone.........i dont wanna risk it..........pixie the chihuahua has a particular love of the buns as there nearer her size we think and she likes the lops as they love to flop on the rug n she lies against them

wjen we bunsat 4 the ppl across the road pixie befriended the baby bun and they would groom eachother, its so cute

Thanks everyone this has been helpful :) I was worried the buns would freak out just seeing her but they don't seem bothered at all. she's a lovely dog and it'll be nice if they can scurry about all over the house occasionally :)

Back