• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peeing n pooing on hay then eating it.

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Lola & Lucys hay is kept in one of them under bed storage boxes and I clean it out daily.

They are tending to poo and pee in it and then eat and I have just read this is a no - no.

The first thing they do with any fresh hay I put in is pee and poo in it and I cant find a hay basket big enough for the two of them!!!

I used to find this with my 2, and since they were fighting E Cuniculi it was v frustrating. If I ever gave them hay in a box or rack it would be thrown around, then usually peed on! They only really liked it in their litter trays.

All I could do in the end was try to bundle up the hay at one end of the litter tray, and they'd mostly do their business at the other end. That and add the hay little and often.

pearl has drunk her own wee fresh :shock:

maybe its only a big problem if its left to fester and then they eat it?? or is pearl just a loony :shock:

pearl has drunk her own wee fresh :shock:

I noticed Bubbles doing this when she was poorly the other week and they were both indoors. She peed on a sheet of newspaper and then licked it. :?Gross girlies! :lol::lol: I wasn't sure if it was because she was unwell or just that I don't see her doing it when she's outside.

Why is it a no no? Alfie and Bubbles are always peeing, pooing and eating out of the same litter tray. :oops:

Mine used to do that....then I had a cunning plan!! I bought one of those large oval dog baskets. Line the base with whatever litter you use, then put a thin layer of hay all over, then stack the hay up in one end. I find mine sit in the shallow end peeing and pooping while munching the fresher stacked up hay!

I noticed Bubbles doing this when she was poorly the other week and they were both indoors. She peed on a sheet of newspaper and then licked it. :?Gross girlies! :lol::lol: I wasn't sure if it was because she was unwell or just that I don't see her doing it when she's outside.

Why is it a no no? Alfie and Bubbles are always peeing, pooing and eating out of the same litter tray. :oops:

It was on a link I read, said it should be removed immediately. But how do buns cope in the wild? Who removes it then?

But how do buns cope in the wild? Who removes it then?

:lol::lol::lol: I guess they pee and poo and move on. :lol::lol::lol:

I would be forever outside emptying the litter tray I think. :shock: I keep adding hay to the top throughout the day though and I empty/disinfect the trays out every morning.

Mine used to do that....then I had a cunning plan!! I bought one of those large oval dog baskets. Line the base with whatever litter you use, then put a thin layer of hay all over, then stack the hay up in one end. I find mine sit in the shallow end peeing and pooping while munching the fresher stacked up hay!

Yes, that's what I used too. :) Some of the hay obviously got trampled under foot and moved, but it did at least keep most of the poo/wee and hay separate.

I don't think you can rule it out totally :?

I had a layer of hay over the newspaper in their tray to draw the wee away from their feet, but i put most of their hay in a rack at the other end, i have two racks adjacent to fit enough it. they generally pull it out and trample on it though :roll:

Back