• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do for the best?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I currently have four buns. My original two, Bugsy & Star, who are male and female and living quite happily together. Bugs has been neutured and I would like to get Star sprayed when possible. Both these bun's have a hutch and free run of the garden during the day.

Now out of the babies they had, we have two left. Both these two bun's (9 wks old now) have one poorly eye each. One Bun we think can not see anything and the other bun has some sight but not much. These two are still together, one male one female which again I know I need to seperate these soon and get these neutured. One of these buns are still under the care of the vet. They have a hutch together (currently) and a run attached 24/7.

My problem is my hubby! He is saying that I can not keep all four buns (the garden is not big enough, so rumour has it!). But I dont see how I can let any of these bun's go esp my 'poorly' buns. I am very attached to these two, having spent hours and hours bathing thier eyes and looking after them.

I think my only hope of keeping them all, is for all four to be bonded and I was wondering what my chances were? My 'ideal' set up (to keep hubby happy) would be all four in one hutch (what size would this have to be?) and they all four having free run of the garden.

Now, I know I can't do this yet. The babies are young and I know I need them all neutered as well ... but like I say I wondered what the chances are in the future? would 4 rabbits live okay together? Both males seem really laid back, Star is a bit fiesty (but maybe the spray would calm her a little?) and holly seems at the mo, quite laid back too.

My main concern is that the mum Star, did turn on the babies - holly & angel - does this make a difference? They can all see each other now in the garden and don't seem that bothered by each other (not like the time I found a rabbit and put it in our run until we could find the owner and Bugs & Star went mental at this rabbit! I ended up giving it to a neighbour after an hour as my rabbits keep trying to attack him through the bars!) but I wouldn't trust Star with the two little bun's at the mo!

So what do I do? hold on and hope and pray that all four bond okay? or should I consider finding one set of buns a new home? (although I am going to be heartbroken to do this but hubby is driving me mad too!). Or just carry on trying not to listen to hubby??

Can anyone help please? Short version is: I need to know if 4 buns can live together (I know some of this depends on the buns), what size hutch/shed/something(?) am I looking at for the 4 of them and any advice if it will/will not be possible as the mum did turn on the babies once before?
cheers!

Can anyone help please? Short version is: I need to know if 4 buns can live together (I know some of this depends on the buns), what size hutch/shed/something(?) am I looking at for the 4 of them and any advice if it will/will not be possible as the mum did turn on the babies once before?
cheers!

Yes 4 buns can live together, not always the case but there should be a good chance. Im not sure if mom turning on the babies before will affect things but I think the only way to know is to try. Normal bonding rules need to be followed:). I would sugest a shed or if our short of space a wendy house for a group of 4 as I dont think a hutch is big enough for a group.

It is entirely possible that you could have them all living together happily. As you have said they will all need to be neutered first. I would recommend leaving them a good 6 weeks at minimum after the neutering if you want the bond to succeed.

Is there any chance the two poorly ones could live in side if the bond doesn't work?

It is entirely possible that you could have them all living together happily. As you have said they will all need to be neutered first. I would recommend leaving them a good 6 weeks at minimum after the neutering if you want the bond to succeed.

Is there any chance the two poorly ones could live in side if the bond doesn't work?

no way to the inside bit! I would love them too but hubby is going nuts at them all outdoors so I would have no chance indoors! I was thinking a good few months from now anyway, give the little ones a chance to get bigger and like you say for them all to get over their ops!

Thanks by the way!

Yes 4 buns can live together, not always the case but there should be a good chance. Im not sure if mom turning on the babies before will affect things but I think the only way to know is to try. Normal bonding rules need to be followed:). I would sugest a shed or if our short of space a wendy house for a group of 4 as I dont think a hutch is big enough for a group.

thank you so much! I will carry on as we are for the time being then and get them all 'sorted out' and look into a wendy house (I am assuming you add 'levels' inside then?) and then find out the bonding rules a little nearer the time (is there a link for them on here please?) and see what happens! Like I say, I know we are talking a few months away but it would be fab if by this time next year they were all together, happy and hubby was off my back about them all!!
Thanks again!

thank you so much! I will carry on as we are for the time being then and get them all 'sorted out' and look into a wendy house (I am assuming you add 'levels' inside then?) and then find out the bonding rules a little nearer the time (is there a link for them on here please?) and see what happens! Like I say, I know we are talking a few months away but it would be fab if by this time next year they were all together, happy and hubby was off my back about them all!!
Thanks again!

Yep adding levels is a great idea as it adds extra space to explore. This thread may help regarding bonding... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55913&highlight=bonding+nonsence

Back