• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits...

tomcat

Young Bun
Hi guys :)

Would you please answer these, so i can find if a rabbit is for me or not :)

1. Fun
  2. Entertaining
  3. Always doing new things that make you laugh
  4. Easy to care for
  5. Do they take up lots of time on the maintenance side?
  6. If they are housetrained, would they come up to my bedroom with me in the evenings, without making to much mess?
  7. Will they grow a bond with the person they spend most of their time with?
  8. Will they cost a fortune to feed each week? I read only about £5-£10 a week?
  9. Once litter trained, will i just have to empty their litter tray daily and top up their food, water & hay? Giving their enclosure a revamp and adding more things for enrichment
  10. Is a pair of buns a good pet for someone who will have coursework to do, even though they can come to my room with me in the evenings to play with me and play with each other, i wont be able to sit with them for hours each day, but will fuss them when they come to me and any free time i get :)

If i do decide to get some, they will be indoor rabbits, with an 8x6 room to explore. I will put in this area, a dog crate that they will be secure in, and then many toys, boxes, fruit tree branches ect to keep them entertained. Once housetrained, and they use a litter tray, i guess its a case of just emptying that every day and refilling, and adding fresh hay, food and water to their dishes and crate. Meaning that that shouldnt take up to much time, and i should be able to focus on my school work. Vet bills will not be a problem as i will put any spare money per month into a bank account specially for that reason.

I am looking for a pet that will be fun to watch and interact with, but will be ok to play in my room, but not constantly need my attention once out, and as rabbits will play then just relax and fall asleep, i figured they fitted the bill nicely.

I used to keep a rabbit, and have kept numerous guinea pigs over the years, and i have started to miss having them around.

Thanks for all the help you guys have already given me, and thanks in advance for answering the questions on this thread :)

Even once your bunny is litter box trained you should not let him or her run free unsupervised unless it is in a bunny proof room. Most rabbits love to chew things including wires and cords. My bunny has her cage door opened at all times and is enclosed in the kitchen which she has free run of........but I have rabbit proofed the room so she is safe. The kitchen was easier to bunny proof and we spend a lot of time in there. My bunny demands lots of love and attention. She is extremely social and will scratch and knock on the gate trying to get out of the kitchen if we are late waking up. Lots of safe chew toys are a must. Hope that this answers a few of your questions.

1. Fun >>>>> definately
2. Entertaining >>>> yup
3. Always doing new things that make you laugh >>> maybe not new but yes i laugh all the time at my pair
4. Easy to care for >>> nope, its one big stress :lol:
5. Do they take up lots of time on the maintenance side? >>> not too much but the house is always a mess with the hay and poops :lol:
6. If they are housetrained, would they come up to my bedroom with me in the evenings, without making to much mess? >>> hay and poop probably and wallpaper chewing, wire chewing, possibly carpet wrecking.. they are destructive little monsters :roll:
7. Will they grow a bond with the person they spend most of their time with? >>> mine prefer rabbit company
8. Will they cost a fortune to feed each week? I read only about £5-£10 a week? >>> lots of hay (costs the most if its petshop bought, but people buy farm stuff, pellets last a month or two, i spend about £4 a week on veg. i also try to keep £10 a week for routine vets stuff, but thats for the dog too
9. Once litter trained, will i just have to empty their litter tray daily and top up their food, water & hay? Giving their enclosure a revamp and adding more things for enrichment >>> sounds about right :)
10. Is a pair of buns a good pet for someone who will have coursework to do, even though they can come to my room with me in the evenings to play with me and play with each other, i wont be able to sit with them for hours each day, but will fuss them when they come to me and any free time i get >>> a pair wont miss you too much if you have other stuff to do

Fun - oh my yes, I thought my cats were fun but my buns are so funny!!! I never knew they had such fab personalities.
Entertaining - certainly - I could watch my buns all day.
Always doing new things that make you laugh - even the old things they do make me laugh.
Easy to care for - not as easy as I thought - but worth it. Not for tidy people!
Do they take up lots of time on the maintenance side? Vets Bills are a problem.
If they are housetrained, would they come up to my bedroom with me in the evenings, without making to much mess? Yes.
Will they grow a bond with the person they spend most of their time with? and anyone who feeds them.
Will they cost a fortune to feed each week? I read only about £5-£10 a week? Not much to feed etc, vets bills need to be considered.
Once litter trained, will i just have to empty their litter tray daily and top up their food, water & hay? Giving their enclosure a revamp and adding more things for enrichment
Is a pair of buns a good pet for someone who will have coursework to do, even though they can come to my room with me in the evenings to play with me and play with each other, i wont be able to sit with them for hours each day, but will fuss them when they come to me and any free time i get - best to get a pair then so they have each other.

Well, thanks for answering guys :) I think rabbits are for me then. I love fun animals that make me laugh :D

I still laugh when Carlton stretches and yawns, such a funny sight. And you'll never get tired of binkies. :love:

Well, thanks for answering guys :) I think rabbits are for me then. I love fun animals that make me laugh :D

i think rabbits are my dream animal.. i love dogs and cats and i adore my chippies.. but you cant beat a silent(ish) cute animal that dont need walks... destruction is minor downside... and them being so delicate may of put me off once but i know each day with them is precious and i will never be bunniless again :love::love::love:

I was shocked at how much destruction they can cause and wish I had been more prepared before I fell in love with Lola, but once you are bunny proofed its fine!

I was shocked at how much destruction they can cause and wish I had been more prepared before I fell in love with Lola, but once you are bunny proofed its fine!

Yeah, never leave any clothes on the floor EVER!

Carlton thinks he's some kind of fashion designer with his teeth.... and if I'm really lucky, he'll pee on it too! :lol:

• Fun - always!
  • Entertaining - see above ;)
  • Always doing new things that make you laugh - and again
  • Easy to care for - Not in my opinion, they have been far more challenging than i ever anticipated when i took them on. It's not impossible, but theyre definitely a challenge, and you need to be aware of everything they require before you take them on or you'll get a horrifying surprise!
  • Do they take up lots of time on the maintenance side? - Quite a lot, yes. as well as feeding and cleaning and nail trimming and vet trips, you need to make sure you spend enough time with them to immediately spot any little illnesses or symptoms as these can be quite subtle.

• If they are housetrained, would they come up to my bedroom with me in the evenings, without making to much mess? - depends on the rabbit. mine live in my room and are fine although they do spread hay everywhere. but some rabbits don't litter train easily. But keep an eye on them if theyre loose in your room, they will chew furniture, electric cables, carpet, clothes, skirting boards and anything else they can find!
  • Will they grow a bond with the person they spend most of their time with? again it depends on the rabbit, all mine have bonded with me but i've been lucky.
  • Will they cost a fortune to feed each week? I read only about £5-£10 a week? i can't imagine a pair costing more than £10 to feed. vet bills can be horrendous thoguh - you might want to consider getting them insured. One of mine needs dental treatment costing £80 every few months and fees for other things can run way higher.
  • Once litter trained, will i just have to empty their litter tray daily and top up their food, water & hay? Giving their enclosure a revamp and adding more things for enrichment - yep that sounds about right.
  • Is a pair of buns a good pet for someone who will have coursework to do, even though they can come to my room with me in the evenings to play with me and play with each other, i wont be able to sit with them for hours each day, but will fuss them when they come to me and any free time i get :) - I'm on an apprenticeship so i work full time and have coursework in the evenings too. I spend plenty of time with my rabbits but I don't really have any other activities that take me out of the house so its not difficult. Only you can tell exactly how much free time you have. :) But remember they are a big commitment as they can live for 8 - 12 years....you need a plan for what to do with them if you go travelling or to uni.

I hope I haven't put you off :shock: They are my favourite pet ever but they do take over my life, I never have hay-free carpets any more and I'm always planning my social life around vet trips! But when one of them drops off to sleep on my lap it's tthe best feeling ever. good luck if you do get them and as you have done your research first I'm sure they will be very happy with you :D There's lots of good information on the forums about their care and its handy to get a couple of good books aswell. Let us know what you decide :)

Back