• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Calling all bunny experts

batmobile

Mama Doe
Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum, though I have used it before for advice. I am having a bit of a panic and need all you rabbit people, experts and rescuers to ease my fears and possibly advise where possible.
Please be gentle and don't shout. ;)
A friend of mine who is active in dog rescues got a knock on the door from a man who basically had heard she takes in waifs and strays. He'd seen a bunny hopping along the road. so together they caught said bunny. After visiting all the locals in the neighbourhood and leafleting, no one came forward (unlikely considering the area etc). So I said I would have the bunny as my friend cannot afford the hutch and has guinea pigs already and no space etc. I bought a hutch etc and spent a fortune on the bunny. I have another bunny and wanted them separate as they would need to bond and so on.
So, Pets at Home (nearest store, sorry and has one member of staff I really trust) sexed the bunny. My friend reckoned boy basing her determination on guinea pig bits, PAH were convinced (the lady I know well actually) it's a girl. Bunny has a definite dewlap and is very young (something about the face still says baby though she is not small, about 0.5kg actually have not weighed her as letting her settle a bit).
Her (if that is the case) poo is very very small but firm (is that normal in young bunnies, that it's smaller than mature ones?) she is very bright eyed and inquisitive, though she does lie down a lot (could be owing to stress with moving around etc). PAH also said her teeth are misaligned and her claws are a little long. Right, so, she is gorgeous but i am so worried as I don't know the history, am worried she could be pregnant (who knows) and most of all worried about her teeth as I am thinking this is a lot to take on. I always intended on getting a pair of rescue buns like my last two, but was waiting for my current bunny who is 10 and a half to go to the Bridge first as he has now got antisocial and probably doesn't want the hassle of bonding with a new pal since his brother died (he has seen new bunny and sniffed a bit and then carried on eating).
I guess I am asking: how serious and difficult to manage is a tooth problem? How can I tell if (heaven forbid) I have taken in a pregnant bunny and does her lying stretched out in a 'relaxed' position a lot indicate illness? I am going to the vet's on thursday but am worried that I have taken in a 'dud'. It's not so much not liking the poor thing but I have already lost sleep about the problems she may have, having no history. She lets herself be handled (as much as a relatively calm rabbit, bit of kicking and struggling when about to release her) and cleans herself. The food I left in has mostly gone, including a large carrot and some dry bunny mix. Would a young female rabbit have a dewlap already? I didn't want to leave her with a rescue as I have enough experience with rabbits to manage and they are over full but now I am worrying about what I might have let myself in for, not having 'chosen' her. That is not meant nastily, I guess I am so worried I'll get her to the vet's and they'll find she is really ill. (Or pregnant!) the things we do for the love of animals, eh?
Thanks.
Jo x

First of all well done taking her (if ;)) under your wing.
A stretched out position is a happy position so she is rather content!
She could be pregnant, could not be. Your vet can tell you :)
Vet will help you out with teeth as well, although it sounds like you shouldn't worry too much! As long as she is eating and pooing okay. Ghostie has slightly jettied molars and vet tells me just to give alot of hay and roughage.
Poo wise, sounds like something to do with her gut. When Toffee had this i needed to give him Fibreflex which helped stimulate the gut.
Just make sure she has plenty of hay :)

She, and it is definitely a little girl, has been given the all clear, including her teeth! She is about 9 months old and apart from a clear discharge from her nose, which he reckoned was due to stress, she is in great health. He said to phone him if the discharge does not clear up/ goes yellow etc but that she has had a big change of climate and life in a short space of time so it is nothing to worry about at this stage. Keep an eye on her. So, I have gained a cute lop who at the moment weighs 1.6 kilos but could go up in weight drastically! :) Am so pleased. He also wants me to name her something 'good' as she has been without name for a few days. Lovely guy. Anyway, she had myxo jab and is booked in for the other one in two weeks time. Then I will book her in for a spay and get her bonded with a friend. My old grumpy boy is having none of it. He doesn't do anything, but he is just disinterested, but can you blame him at 10.5 years of age? He probably wants to sleep, not have to show a young un the ropes. Pics to follow once I've settled her in properly and made sure her nose is clean. :)

Thats good news :) im so glad you found her or god knows what could of happened to her :( . Im looking forward to seeing the pics

Back