• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

battered rabbit query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie

Young Bun
I was doing a bit or work on a site on Saturday and noticed a few kids mucking about near a pile of rubble the looked to be playing football or something so I thought nothing of it until I was about to leave so decided to chase them home. when I started over in their driection I noticed one holding something and when he saw me he kicked it onto the rubble and they legged it. again I thoght nothing so went to fill the gap in the hedge so they could not get back in. As I went to go back to the car I noticed the object move and on looking closer I noticed it was a rabbit. it was dragging its back legs and could barly move. I brought it to a vet who sat to wring its neck but it then started to move its back legs a bit osI said I would bring it home over the weekend now its up and can hop a wee bit but carries one leg. I have also noticed its bum entrance is always open with poo and it seem incontinant as regards to water works. there was quite a bit of blood around here and you can see its skin. I can even tell the sex for swelling. will this improve or it is better to put it down. today its sitting in the cage eating and drinking happily and even bonding a bit with my other rabbit.

i am no expert but if its eating and drinking i would say that was a good sign as most animals wont eat if they are seriously injured .Give it a few days and see what happens unless of course it seems in alot of pain

Horrible kids. Even horrible vet!

Sounds like you are taking very good care of bunny. I am sure some of our experts will be along soon.

Thank you for taking care of bun.

I was doing a bit or work on a site on Saturday and noticed a few kids mucking about near a pile of rubble the looked to be playing football or something so I thought nothing of it until I was about to leave so decided to chase them home. when I started over in their driection I noticed one holding something and when he saw me he kicked it onto the rubble and they legged it. again I thoght nothing so went to fill the gap in the hedge so they could not get back in. As I went to go back to the car I noticed the object move and on looking closer I noticed it was a rabbit. it was dragging its back legs and could barly move. I brought it to a vet who sat to wring its neck but it then started to move its back legs a bit osI said I would bring it home over the weekend now its up and can hop a wee bit but carries one leg. I have also noticed its bum entrance is always open with poo and it seem incontinant as regards to water works. there was quite a bit of blood around here and you can see its skin. I can even tell the sex for swelling. will this improve or it is better to put it down. today its sitting in the cage eating and drinking happily and even bonding a bit with my other rabbit.

Thats awful:cry:. Are you going to keep him/her?.

If you are i would 100% find a different vet. That one doesnt seem to know much or care about rabbits!:evil:.

Your bun will prob need pain relief and some more stuff on top of that, maybe xrays ect.

If you cant keep him/her then ring round a few rescues they might be able to help. Hope the little one is ok, keep us posted.
x

i would take it to the vets and just them give it the once over. As you said it is having no control of its back passage is a major concern, It may not need putting to sleep but if those evil little :censored: of kids have been kicking it, it could well have internal bleeding. Like the other person said if it is eatting and drinking that is a good sign but it may need some sort of treatment. You wouldn't have to pay for it i wouldn't think as you saved the poor little one.

Keep us posted on how he does. Keeping fingers crossed :cry:

Last edited:
Where about's are you? In the UK? It sounds like it has some injuries and if nothing else some pain meds should help. I'd suggest calling around you'll local vets and finding one that's a bit more helpful.

Does it have swelling around the face too? Depending where you are it be that it has myxi which, if it's a wild rabbit, could be how the kids were able to catch it in the first place. If it has myxi then the kindest thing would be to get it put to sleep.

Tam

A vet advised to 'wring its neck'. Please please do not take the rabbit back to that vet!!!!!!!!!
What awful kids! Do you know them?
You could take the bun to the RSPCA and show them evidence of the cruelty, and offer to rehabilitate if you wish.
Eating and drinking are good signs though, although it may have broken its legs, so get to a bunny savvy vet asap to successfully assess the situation.
Tons of vibes for bunny.
Well done for taken him in :)
Xxxx

its a tame black and white lop. I know Maxi rabbits as I grew up in the country and had to soot enough of them unforunatly. this ones eyes are fine it seems from what I cout see was thrown by the ears as they ar now sticking everywhere and kicked around the rear as the front legs are fine. it had a bloody mouth but teeth are ok as well.

its a tame black and white lop. I know Maxi rabbits as I grew up in the country and had to soot enough of them unforunatly. this ones eyes are fine it seems from what I cout see was thrown by the ears as they ar now sticking everywhere and kicked around the rear as the front legs are fine. it had a bloody mouth but teeth are ok as well.

Where abouts are you?. People might be able to recommend a rabbit savvy vet.
x

Im in northern Ireland. Yea I'll probably keep the little critter. Im building a new run so it'll be cramped for a while but they will have a good bit to play in. Just mead it hop the length of the garage there. he can stand on all 4 legs just when he does hop he is now a bit wobbly and then carries one leg. I have checked them myself and they are not broken. also his fir is starting to come out if you pull it at all it just come away I noticed when picking him up.

that could be due to the stress it has been through. My bunnies are malting though but i have been told thats bunnies loose fur when they are stressed too. Not sure how true this is so perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can confirm

Good luck glad little one is doing a bit better. How is its back end now?? :shock:

It should have stayed in the vets to be treated for shock at least. In my opinoin it should be recouperating there with pain medication.

still can't believe a vet said that.... what if the person and followed that vets advise and not done it right [not that i think there is a right way to do THAT] they could have just caused further pain!!! :evil: That vet shouldn't be one if thats the sort of advice they are giving out:evil::evil:
Taking care of the bunny is the best option and perhaps take it to a different vet....one who doesn't mind taking the time to look at the bunny

true the only meds it was going to get was to put it to sleep and they were charging me £15 for the privledge. its at home in a warm hutch loads of hay carrots and feed and I have given it some pain meds left over from when I lanced a cist on one of my other bunnies last week. TBH it seems quite content this evening. only one thing it smells really bad and could do with a damn good wash

Hello,
I wouldn't let it too near your own rabbits, just incase it passes them an infection or something :( - be careful

You really need to get the rabbit to another vet, as it will need to have a proper examination. It needs to be kept somewhere warm and quiet to give it some chance of survival, and if it went through the abuse you described I would suspect it has sustained internal injuries.

no I had him in an old hutch and Fluffball was being nosey now and wont leave him. taken some bloods and will get them tested by a friend tomorrow to make sure it has nothing nasty.

true the only meds it was going to get was to put it to sleep and they were charging me £15 for the privledge. its at home in a warm hutch loads of hay carrots and feed and I have given it some pain meds left over from when I lanced a cist on one of my other bunnies last week. TBH it seems quite content this evening. only one thing it smells really bad and could do with a damn good wash

Well you seem to know a bit then if you have done treatment at home for your own bunnys:love:
One thing i meant to ask is the bunny a wild one or a escaped pet one?? Obviously if it is wild be careful not to let it near your own just in case of mixc etc.
Well hope bunny continues to improve. Is it skitish or nervous around you [silly question really when its been kicked about :(] because one thing i have done when bunnies a bit smelly [due to tummy upset etc] is try and wash with warm water around the back end but then mine are tame and not been through a trama so they obviously trust me.... Well either way i am sure you are doing all you can for the little mite. Are you going to name him/her???:?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back