• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How/Where can I buy metacam, SC Fluids etc..

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone..

I just had quite a row with my vet on the phone..I have to update another post relating to the issue of when this all started but basically. I rang my vet to try and aquire some more metacam and some more sryinges as they only gave us a tiny amount of metacam and some got wasted trying to get it in him. Also I want to always have some on hand for emergencies, and general pain relief/gas etc..

Basically our bun has had very bad stasis to the point where we almost lost him (no thanks to the vets he is with), and after insisting twice for fluids they wouldn't give him any, and just kept giving him indadequate pain relief, and gut stimulants etc. and leaving him in pain etc, and telling us he needs to eat more hay etc..but kept tellings us to go back, on and on this went for nearly two weeks whilst we were trying to save him and they were doing nothing.. bla bla..

anyway.

I wanted to order some more needles (size 20gage)
an extension kit so I can attach a rubber tube to the shringe as opposed to having to hold the sryinge, and another bag of vettex-11
Small bottle of metacam

All of this really I just wanted to stock in, for emergency as he is still recovery but off the fluids now and I want to make sure that we always have everything we need in case he relapses, or has any other emergencies to keep him going until we can get him to a rabbit savvy vet (which we are in the process of finding thanks to everyone on this board).

I spoke to the vets today he is currently with and explained all this, and they said they wont sell me any metacam, or any of the equiptment etc unless I take him in each time, in which case they charge me a consultation fee everytime.. and that's assuming he only ever falls ill, or gets pain etc 9-5 mon to fri..

I said what happens if its a sunday or a nighttime etc, or it's just a bad gas episode.. I have to rush him to the emergency vets? or just sit there and watch him in pain? but they wouldn't listen, also all they would do is exactly what we could do at home anyway if I had the right medicines etc, and then probably not even that as I had to insist on the fluids before they gave him them..

Sooo

I just wondering how other people get metacam, and the fluids etc, or where/how I can purchase some for emergencies..to always keep in stock

Does it depend on the vet?

I am also changing vets..

Thanks

Martin

ps, sorry about the rant, Im just soo :censored: with the way they handled our bun..

I think metacam is prescription only but I could be wrong. Sure someone else more knowledgeable will come along in a minute.

It prescription only:(.

When shauny had his second ''bout'' of stasis i asked if i could buy the biggest bottle, they were fine with that. And we had loads left over.

I think its down to the descression (sp) of the vet. Yours doesnt sound like they were going to listen:roll:.
x

Metacam is prescription only because it's a painkiller.

It sounds like you need to shop around for a different vet more than anything else. Stasis can be caused by more than one thing which is why you should go to a vet. Obviously you need a good rabbit vet to go to though.

Tam

Thank You

Thank You!..

I won't go into all the details here, but when I phoned to register our bun with them, I asked if they were experienced with rabbits and they said yes, they had rabbit prices on the board too.. I only wish they would of told the truth!.. or at least revealed the extent of their experience of rabbits, which from our experiences with them so far probably just boils down to being able to distinguish one from a cat or dog.:x theyr'e incompetence was shocking!..

Anyway..:roll:

they just wer'nt listening, and even after in the end it was everyones advice on here and us who saved him really by insisting they give him fluids etc and explaining what I read on here, and from everyones replies.., they still won't listen... and just want us to take him in etc.. needless to say we are changing vets.

So thank you Everyone, and thank you for these replies.. I am going to check out the link now, and try and get everything sorted. I am also speaking to a new vets first thing in the morning..

M

I just had a look at petdrugsonline, and noticed they sell the Turimo needles, which I have read are meant to be much better than the monoject *harpoons*.. our bun is such a titch I really want to use the smallest needle which still alows ample flow... I would rather it take longer sort of thing and hurt him less..:roll:

I couldn't see the fluids though, or the kits..

I'm looking forward to speaking to the new vet tommorrow too and explaining everything, and hopefully she will understand..

M

ps, Hi Tamsin we still need to identify the source of the stasis, though we wanted to get him stabilised so we can investagate further, and I just don't trust his vets anymore not after all of this, but he is doing much much better now, and has been pooping well for the last week..so hopefully we can get him in to the new one asap and investigate further..

Last edited:
Fluids on this page 1/2 way down ish! Its the same as i was supplied by my vets for giving s/c fluids (same brand and everything!)
Not too sure about the kits you are referring to as that sounds more like a drip kit which is for giving IV fluids rather than sub cut.

Jessy

Thanks Jessy:)

not sure if you meant to post another link (only half my brain is active today soo..)

What I was actually wanting to do was something similar to this, as I found it a bit of a struggle to push the 20ml syringe and hold it steady in the back of his scruff sort of thing, so I was thinking something like this may be easier as once the needle is in, it won't matter too much if my hand is shakey etc..and just generally seems much more relaxed affair..

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/cat_fluids.aspx

I know that's for a cat etc, but basically a shringe, with a tube on one end and the needle on the other..

M

I was a bit cheeky and asked the nurse casucally for a bottle of metacam (small) for emergencies when I was picking up a food order, I was pretty shocked that she gave it to me after asking if I had used it before.

I would not give it unless I had the vet advised though. It was just that I had one that had expired and like you I want to have it in.

Thanks Jesssy!.

yeah, I was so nervous trying to hold a huge syringe in the back of his neck, my hand was shaking and Im sure that wasnt helping matters.. but I think with the kit, he could have a little bit more freedom-ish and maybe even a munch while I give his fluids, it just seems awkward and clumsy trying to hold a huge syringe and plunge the fluids in..:roll: thanks for the link:) gonna check it out now..

and hi bunny Babe (and everyone I never said hi too)

heh, you were lucky to get that bunnybabe..I did try asking the nurse but they won't do anything without asking the vet, and well.. I already know what theyr'e answer would be.. I'm going to explain all this to the new vet tommorrow though and see where we go from there.. it seems crazy, it's only pain killer and it's not like Im going to drink it:roll:

I got much better stuff for that.. hehe (j/k) Im tea total..

Last edited:
our rescue vet lets us buy metacam but we so often have bunnies that need it & we've been going to them for a long time & they trust us. I don't think my local vet who i always used to get my vaccines done with would let me buy a bottle unless they'd seen the bunny first....however if you are uncomfortable with your vet, hunt around for another & perhaps ask for recomendations on here.

Hi Ecudc..

Thanks..

yea, I have a list of recomendations from folk on here, so I'm going to spend tommorrow phoning around etc, and sort out his new Vet.. heh, I was even thinking of going to college and studying myself.. but.. there are some aspects of vetinary medicine I don't think I could deal with too well..

and your right, a trusting relationship with the vet is important.. something I thought' we had with ours considering how many times we've been there, even the taxi drivers knew us.. and the amount of money we spent in there, but turned out it was really only ever about the latter..:?

Hopefully I will have much more options though after tommorrow.. I would love to have more buns but I don't know how people cope with so many, I'm worn out most of the time, and got my hands full with just one?.. how do you do it?.. I certainly honour you for rescuing them though, and everyone else who does..

If I won the lottery I would love to create a sanctuary and an education facility..

M

Back