• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry folks - yet another question

maymie

Young Bun
I noticed last night that one of my bunnies was making a funny grunting wheezy noise.

Both are neutered, neither have a runny nose or anything and it didnt sound like a sneeze. They are both eating fine, veggies/hay/pellets and they are both as they normally are (livley and inquizitive, etc).

If you have been reading my bonding attempts, then you will know that there has been a lot of fur flying - could this be the cause? Possible hair balls? I give them pineapple and they both liked it to start with but now nibbler has went off it.

I also read somewhere that it may be nibbler making this noise because he 'really likes' dolly :love:

Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post

If he's making a sort of short grunting noise whilst running around with his tail slightly raised then he may indeed be declaring his love for Dolly.

If he's making the noise whilst sat still quietly then it could be the start of snuffles - they don't always present with a snotty nose at the offset.
If it could be snuffles them I'd get to the vet asap for a long course of anitbiotics.

I don't think they get furballs in the throat the same way a cat does.
If a rabbit does get a "furball" it woul more likely cause a gut blockage rather than make their breathing sound strange.

I have a nethie that came down with an acute bout of snuffles within a very short time, but with immediate treatment has been fine since.

Can you explain more what activity he's doing when you hear the noise?

no idea - he did it last night when I was going to sleep. I heard the noise and got up to check. I keep saying that its him but it could also be dolly i suppose. Neither of them looked bothered when I turned on the light to check they both looked fine. I was starting to doubt that I had heard it buy my boyfriend heard it too. It kinda sounded like snoring of some kind but 2 or 3 'snores' then it stopped.

Sorray about my vagueness - he hasnt done it again and I didnt get a good enough listen at it when he did do it. :(

Back