• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PAH hutchs + Plans?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Hi guys :wave:
Was wondering whats the difference between the Sage House and the Thistle Hall, hutchs from Pets @ Home?? They look the same, but one is £80 odd and the other is £120 odd

Reason I ask.... I want Ella and Fletcher to have a band new hutch for there shed. Mainly because there hutch atm is well passed its sell by date and has had so many repairs done on it, that it needs to be ditched!

I would like a two tier hutch, so it means at night, if its really cold, or i need them seperated or locked away, I can lock them into the hutch, and theyll still have some sort of "space". I was also thinking about buying them a hutch hugger too ready for next winter! (thinking ahead!!)

SO my questions.
(A) the difference between the sage house and thistle hall
(B) Is it a good idea to have them in a hutch with a hutch hugger on in a shed, esp in the winter nights!
(C) Does anybody have shed bunnys that they lock into the shed for security, during the night?

As it stands, Ella and Fletcher have free trot of the shed and a massive run when its warm, but I worry about them getting cold, esp when it gets chilly as I never lock them in the hutch and always leave the door open for them to hop in and out as they please

My plans for the summer are to get a permanent secure run built onto the shed, the double tier hutch bought and put in, a new lino put in for them,the two front windows, cut out and installed again so they theyll open, locks installed on them, and a light installed!

Any suggestions/tips/things to add/things not to do welcome ;)

The difference is just size. Thistle hall is about 4ft x 2ft x 2ft on each level. Sage house is a bit smaller in each dimension, it's not really suitable for rabbits.

Not really sure about your other questions

TBH since this thing with my nieghbours kicked off, I dont feel comftable leaving them just free roaming in the shed, id rather at night, they were in a pad locked hutch

Theres a fab one on there for £350 :lol:
I want something sturdy, lots of space but cheap, as its to go inside a shed, which is why i thought the Thistle hall would be great
Does anybody have any feedback on the Thistle Halls? and are they easy to put up most importantly :lol:

Bailey is in sage house just until they are bonded together and in their new 6x3x2.5 hutch :)

Heres my set up atm.
Sage house is the one of the right.
DSC00960.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

xx

couldn't you just put in a bit box filled with straw to keep them warm? would be a much cheaper option and probably just as snug?

Its mainly for security too so the box wouldnt be an option :) Plus I want something that they cant destory in 2 minutes flat (Ella is a chewer!) It means I can padlock the hutch aswell as padlock the door, and have it alarmed because ATM we are going through HELL with my niegbhours, and theyve been heard threatenin to hurt my rabbits, and were heard having a good laugh at the fact id be really upset,

Re Thistle Hall

Hi
I have a Thistle hall for my two, which I've attached a run to the front of. They're not in a shed, so they only have the hutch and the run apart from when I let them out on the grass. I've not had any problems with mine (Had it a year now), and my husband put it together without any problems. I think I'm going to have to replace it next year - Not because of the build, it's very sturdy - More because my two have decided to make a meal of it! :shock:

I also bought a hutch hugger for it last year (The waterproof one), which has lasted well too. They've been through the worst of the winter (-10 degrees) with no problems in it, so I'd recommend it.

Hope this helps! :D

Its mainly for security too so the box wouldnt be an option :) Plus I want something that they cant destory in 2 minutes flat (Ella is a chewer!) It means I can padlock the hutch aswell as padlock the door, and have it alarmed because ATM we are going through HELL with my niegbhours, and theyve been heard threatenin to hurt my rabbits, and were heard having a good laugh at the fact id be really upset,

Don't buy Thistle Hall or any other P@H hutches made out of the same wood if you have a chewer. Sooty has wrecked her Thistle Hall. She managed to chew out the back of it, so we've had to put new plywood on it. If you do buy it, while your building it, get metal edging stuff and put it round each door and sticky out bits. Also the bolts and hinges are rubbish so I'd get better ones and put them on too :D

I have a Thistle Hall too. I have had mine about a year and it is fine-small bit of chewing on the inside but nothing major. It is quite easy to put up (mine took a bit longer cos i put carpet down and insulated the walls :oops:) I have had to replace the screws in the "lid" with bigger ones but i think that is cos i took it off a couple of times (don't ask!).

I find it really easy to clean (i do have a covering on both floors though, carpet upstairs and lino/foam tiles on the bottom. A handy feature is the the doors open and lift off (good if the rabbit is allowed free access, you don't have to worry about propping the door open)

Are the doors easily put back on though? because i think, what im gunna do.. is lock them in at night, padlock the hutch shut (with the hutch snuggler on over night in the winter, as my shed isnt insulated) and it means not only is my hutch padlocked, it means my niegbhours, should they try anything, have 3 or 4 locks to get past before they get anywhere near the rabbits!
Ill bear it in mind about having the metal coverings - i actually need to get metal coverings for my 2 side windows in the shed because the rabbits have chewed the bottom ledges :lol:

Be careful as if they are that determined/sick/evil, surely they would unscrew the hinges? (or maybe im over paranoid :shock::oops:)

Well hopefully, ill be doing something so corners, and unscrewable bits are covered, so its just a barage of locks to get through! :lol:
TBH i dont think theres anything else I can do to protect them :(

Back