• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picking up a rabbit - correct procedure

I've been trying to pick up Bramble like this and so far I've been successful. He does wriggle to start with though, but then calms down, especially with a bit of 'head stroking'! I tend to do this kneeling down next to his run, so I can easily putting him back without dropping him.

Nope, I never pick mine up as shown in those photos.

I always pick mine up when they're facing me because it's easier to scoop them into your chest, and minimizes the risk of the rabbits jumping forwards out of your grasp. Other than than I do use a similar technique (i.e. one hand under chest and the other under the bottom)

I always pick mine up when they're facing me because it's easier to scoop them into your chest, and minimizes the risk of the rabbits jumping forwards out of your grasp. Other than than I do use a similar technique (i.e. one hand under chest and the other under the bottom)

That's how I pick mine up. If I try it any other way Sooty panicks - she likes to see where she's going.

I find, that if I do this, the boys panic a bit and do their parrot impersonation, that is climb up my chest and sit on my shoulder, which freaks me and them out

Im sure i pick mine up in probably an awful way, especially as Spice can be picked up and rested in one hand lol :shock: Ozzy takes two as hes a jumper! The countless times that rabbit has performed some ariel manouvers is slightly worrying :oops: hehe

Im sure i pick mine up in probably an awful way, especially as Spice can be picked up and rested in one hand lol :shock:

I probably do as well. :oops: Bubbles is so small that I find it easier to place one hand either side of her body (with her facing me) so that I'm actually holding all 4 legs in close to her body with my fingers & she can't struggle. Then I scoop her up and sideways onto my chest.

I used to be able to do it with Alfie too, but he's a fat dollop now, so I also do it similar to the pics, but with him facing me. I can't pick them up if they're facing away from me. :lol::lol:

I can't see the photos but I always pick up from behind with the bigger buns & infront for the nethies.... I can't sneak up behind my nethies & it can be very difficult to try & get one hand under their chest & one under bum. I tend to wait until they've gone into their carrier or a corner & kneel down & scoop into my arms forward......with panda I use a towel to stop him taking my arm off. My bigger buns are easiest to approach from behind & pick up like a baby to hold for nail clipping/bottom checks & then bring to the chest for moving around or cuddles. Strangely honey who likes stroking the least is the easiest of my buns to pick up & play with but sooty kicks up a right stomp......Kung Fu Panda of course is not to be picked up lightly if you value your fingers but unfortunatly the little muppet has learnt to go upstairs but not down & keeps having to be rescued!

I always pick up my girls this way. I always have to do it with them facing away from me, I get one hand under their chest and one under their bottom, and then twist them round so they are lieing flat against my chest. The difficult thing is putting them down again. I usually let them jump from my arms.

I always place a hand on their ears, which are normally against the head so they don't run anywhere then sort move that hand quickly underneath then with that hand scooping them up and if it is Harry using the other hand at the bum for support. Depending which rabbit it is they either get placed against my chest/under my neck or under my arm so my clothes cover their eyes.

To put them down again I crouch down the release onto my knees or they just jump clear.

yes some bunnys i scoop fro mbehind up (one hand under bum and one under chest as such with part of hand holding front paw gently... and others i pick up scooping towards my chest depends o nthe rabbit and thier temperment.. sam spice!! oh yes little spice fits in one hand shouldnt think you could get 2 around her!!! bless her!!! x

I scoop Strawbs with one hand under his chest and the other under his bum. Then to hold him I just lie him back slightly and rest him on the crook of my elbow- a bit like cradling a baby on its back. He is a bit of a wriggler so I find it keeps him calm and stops him from trying to run up my body and over my shoulder!

Occasionally if I'm lying on the sofa Deej gets a hand under the belly (from the side) and gets plopped right onto my chest (a 5 second maneuver which he doesn't really mind, but he almost always turns around to face the TV)!

Other than that it's one hand on his behind and the other under his chest and scoop him to my chest.

no i cant say i pick any of mine up like that at all. always scooped under the ribs with one hand then either cuddled or layed on thier backs in my arms with me talking absolute jibberish to them :lol:

It's kind of tricky eh? I'm going to go and try and pick up Bramble now, so he's hopefully not too freaked out later by the vet!

Yep I lift my buns like this they still hate it though lol and Joey...Jesus it's like mission impossible to get him! I try to be as gentle as I can but he just likes to give me a run :evil:

Yep I lift my buns like this they still hate it though lol and Joey...Jesus it's like mission impossible to get him! I try to be as gentle as I can but he just likes to give me a run :evil:

Same here :roll: Boris will do just about anything to avoid getting picked up,it's driving me insane! I don't get why he's acting like this,I handle him quite a bit and not doing anything wrong when doing so,as far as I'm concerned. I guess he's just really afraid of heights bless him!

Back