• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just stuck a used needle in my finger

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Will it be a problem?

Just injected Eddie with ceporex but his skin is so hard it bent the needle, so when I put the protective cap back on the needle went right through it and into my finger :roll:

Its bleeding well now

I would imagine it would be okay; have you had your tetanus jabs? Might be worth ringing vet/doctor?

If you start craving hay and carrots maybe you should see someone though? :shock:

Just let it have a good bleed then rinse it well under a running tap of cold water.

I have done it countless times and still have 5 digits on each hand :)

Thank you, sounds like I'll survive then :lol::lol:

Couldn't believe how much the needle had bent, next time I'll check it before I put the cap back on :D

It's more dangerous if the stuff you inject contains mineral oil such as with some of the vaccines- this can cause the finger to drop off! I would check with your GP to be on the safe side. the best way to avoid this is to discard the needle into a sharps container without recapping it :)

Thank you, sounds like I'll survive then :lol::lol:

Couldn't believe how much the needle had bent, next time I'll check it before I put the cap back on :D

This happened with one of the older buns we had in rescue, Chance, we thought he was younger than he actually was until the vets found how thick his skin was....he managed to bend a few needles in his time too. :lol:

This happened with one of the older buns we had in rescue, Chance, we thought he was younger than he actually was until the vets found how thick his skin was....he managed to bend a few needles in his time too. :lol:

Bless him.

Poor Eddie has become a regular pin cushion, don't think there is anywhere new left to put the needle in :(

It's more dangerous if the stuff you inject contains mineral oil such as with some of the vaccines- this can cause the finger to drop off!

:lol::shock: you're joking ?

I would check with your GP to be on the safe side.

what would the guinea pig know about needles ? :lol::lol::lol:

the best way to avoid this is to discard the needle into a sharps container without recapping it :)

probably better for everyone if the cap was on, isn't it ?

:lol::shock: you're joking ?

probably better for everyone if the cap was on, isn't it ?

It's true, the VHD vaccine is very dangerous if you accidently inject yourself with it.

Personally I always recap my spent needles, even when using a sharps bin. :)

Yep The vet told me you have to carry an antidote when giving VHD

I always recap as Eddie has to have his postinjection treat straight away so I am not leaving it lying around without the top on while he has that :)

it can happen in rare cases.
Actually most needle-stick injuries happen when you're trying to put the lid on :)

it can happen in rare cases.
Actually most needle-stick injuries happen when you're trying to put the lid on :)

That makes me normal then :lol: I think I'm just lucky that this is the first time I have ever done it, although i did nearly slice off a finger when opening some metaclopramide once :shock:

That makes me normal then :lol: I think I'm just lucky that this is the first time I have ever done it, although i did nearly slice off a finger when opening some metaclopramide once :shock:

I wrap my hand in a teatowel when snapping vials, I'd love to know why they decided that was the best way to package them though. :?

Ouch! I hate snapping those vials! Gives me the same feeling as someone scratching a balloon!
It shouldn't take any longer to drop the needle into a sharps container than to put the lid on surely?
Sorry but if you're as mad about bunnies as I am there's no hope of classing yourself as normal :lol::lol::lol:

It's true, the VHD vaccine is very dangerous if you accidently inject yourself with it.

Personally I always recap my spent needles, even when using a sharps bin. :)

I always cap my needles too, and I use a sharps box. I have stuck a needle in my fingers loads of times and I still have 8 fingers and two thumbs, my vet always says let it bleed even if you have to squeeze it and run it under water too.

I always cap my needles too, and I use a sharps box. I have stuck a needle in my fingers loads of times and I still have 8 fingers and two thumbs, my vet always says let it bleed even if you have to squeeze it and run it under water too.

Nice :lol::lol:
I don't think I've ever jabbed myself yet....not with a syringe anyway....I stabbed myself several times last night doing dress alterations. :oops:

I don't understand: why do you cap them first? just use the grooves on the lid of the container to flick the needle into the box :)

I remember once when I was giving a penicillin injection to a rabbit (when I first started injecting , just realised that makes me sound like a junkie:oops::lol::lol:)and I hadn't but the needle on enough and as I went to inject the syringe came out and covered my face and the wall with penicillin:oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back