• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my buns live on pellets ond hay? Poo probs.

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.:wave:

I am a tinker for giving my buns treats, and I give them greens mornign and night - with the odd pieces of apple and carrot and maybe half a grape now and then (not every day - only about twice a week) along with their pellets.

Lucy did some really horrible poo's yesterday - one was about half an inch long and were smelly.

Their poos are usually huge and golden brown and hard - not soft and sludgy like this - they are now back to normal.:)

So I am going to be really tough on myself and just give them pellets (I use A&P) and lots and lots of hay.

Is this how it should be?

Any advice??

Thank you!

The hardest thing is going to be ignoring those pleading big eyes :lol: but you know it makes sense. I think it's called tough love :)

yeah i'd say just cut down on the greens and see if that helps. she may just have eaten something that upset her tummy. they are cheeky little beggars. ted tried to get some of my fruit salad last night, told her to go lie down lol :lol:

Ours get greens almost daily depending on what we have the cupboards, occasionally something will upset spice's tum but only for about an hour or so. Its probably as its varied greens. Maybe if you keep the same greens every day so their tums can handle it then give the odd treat of a small pieces of different veg/greens :D

B tends to get yukky poos when she has too many pellets.

Yes mine are a bit like that although much better since I swapped from Excel to SS! I tend to feed a bowl of assorted veg morning and night with loads of hay and a tiny amount of pellets which goes in their treatball so they have to work for them.... they have way too many treats, but I cant help it, those little furry pleading faces...

Try cutting out fruit first. IME veg doesn't tend to cause loose poops for most rabbits.

I agree :)

Too many pellets is the main culprit for excess caecotrophs etc.
I never feed my Buns fruit. Well except Nomad who would never speak with me again if I deprived him of his cube of apple. He has that (about a sugar-cube sized piece) as we have our breakfast together each morning :)

I don't have a problem with Wesley but Honey I have to feed small amounts of veg as she will get a dirty bottom. She has a very small amount of pellets in the evening and the rest of her food is hay and some dried herbs mixed in.

The only greens I really give them is Spring Greens or Savoy Cabbage and maybe a few herbs now and then. I will cut out the fruit - I feel such a meanie but I know its for their good - why are buns mad about sweet stuff!:shock:

Thank you for your advice, I will put it to good use.

Andrea x

Back