• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 Pairs

CHH

Warren Scout
It's a long story, but basically we have 2 pairs because Sooty and Sophie, who are sisters, fell out big time after they were speyed.

So we now have....

Smudge (male, aged 7 years) & Sophie (female, aged 9 months). Sandy (male, aged 10 months) & Sooty (female, aged 9 months). All have been neutered.

The girls were speyed at 6 months and started fighting almost immediately after their op. We got Sandy from the local rescue centre to even things up!

I'd really like to get all 4 together. The 2 pairs share the same garden but have separate hutches. They're well aware of each others presence.

What are my chances of getting them all under one roof? Would a few days in a dog crate do the trick?

EDIT - Here's what happened when the girls fell out....

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157668

Last edited:
So we now have....

Smudge (male, aged 7 years) & Sophie (female, aged 9 months). Sandy (male, aged 10 months) & Sooty (female, aged 9 months). All have been neutered.

I'd really like to get all 4 together. Wouldn't like to go on a % age but definately worth a go.

The 2 pairs share the same garden but have separate hutches. They're well aware of each others presence.

Would a few days in a dog crate do the trick? If these are normal sized buns a 48 inch dog crate is about the right size. With a pair of buns I woudl keep them in one place for at least 48 hoursm with 3 buns 72 hours and 4 buns for 96 hours and then only move them if they are ok.

If you are looking to bond any buns you need to also do your homework first. You mention that they have hutches and also by the look of your pictures they have free range of the garden. I would suggest for now limiting their space in the garden so that some of it is allowed to naturally loose the smells of your buns. Consider what sort of accomodation you are going to use and ensure that this can be neutralised properly if it has been used before.

When you do bond you will need to restrict the space they are allowed until they are happy with each other, if you do extend their space you will need to reduce their space back down if any niggling occurs. Rabbits often kick off if their space is increased too quickly. After bonding i personally would not put a pair of buns out in a large run or loose in the garden for at least a week but then only if they are happy together, with a group I would ensure that this time is extended.

Reading the thread of your bonding, you may have found that your buns would have settled if you had kept them in one place until they were happy together. Keeping changing thier location and the space they have is very, very unsettling for buns particuarly if they are being bonded.

Thanks for that. Could be a wee project for this weekend!

Should I introduce them to the crate one at a time or all at once? I was thinking of putting the girls in first, then Smudge then Sandy. As long as there's no serious fighting I'd probably do all of that within a 5 or 10 minute timescale.

Thanks again!

I would just put them all in within a few minutes of each other.

Make sure you have a nice strong broom.

I'm getting a 48" dog crate on loan from a friend on Thursday. I should be clear most of Friday and all weekend so I'll go for it then.

Fingers crossed :shock:

As for their outside hutch, the floors are all removable so I can hose it down completely with a pressure washer and then spray it with white vinegar.

We now have a dog crate and 5 litres of vinegar! Will probably kick this off tomorrow lunchtime.

Here's hoping...............

Back