• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP with Parasite/Worming Issue

zethek

New Kit
I have Today taken in two rabbits from a family who's kids ignored them and they weren't being looked after properly from what i can see, the Hutch was in 6 inch or more of Straw (no Hay) & Sawdust i wouldn't say dirty but i imagine it's not being getting cleaned properly, so thats been sorted i took out 2 bin bags of stuff out of a large single floored hutch, i have a Dutch buck 4/6 months old who i was told has had a tummy parasite on Pets at home junior food and a 2 Y/O Dwarf Lop Doe also had tummy worms i believe she's on the run of the mill rabbit mixture not pellets, i was told that thier vets has told them to keep them on this food? seems odd? can this be true i want to move them over gradually onto Allen and Page if i can, with fresh veg in the evening and plenty of hay like my other rabbits.

1, Worms/Parasites - could this be because they have not been getting proper cleaning and care?
2, is it likely that they will continue to get tummy worms - reccuring over and over
3, will this issue clear up so long as they are wormed and looked after properly
4, is there any reason that these rabbits should have to stay on their current food?
5, i also got large amounts of treats with them which i never feed my rabbits, things like Corn on the cob, popcorn sticks, Camomile and Beetroot Pellets could this have contributed to thier tummy issues? i tend to go with a slice of apple or something natural as a treat 1-2 a week if that
6, would you think it true that they should stay on thier current food, just dry food, no veg, do you think i can change it with no problems?

if you have anything you can add or advice you can offer please do so, i'm really in need of some help, i may be paniking more than i need to but i really want these rabbits to have a happy home here with our family, they are beauties and i have already taken to them in a big way. they will be going to the vets this week for jabs etc and i will get her to give them a good going over and see what that turns up.

thanks in advance Zeth

Well done on taking them in. Firstly I would have to say do not trust a word you have been told and they should see your rabbit savvy vet as soon as poss. Hopefully if they do have worms they can each be treated on a 9 day course of panacur but it may be other issues causing the problems.

I would keep them on their current food for about 2/3 days from moving as they are likely to already be stressed then gradually start changing them over. You can cut back the amount of dried food they receive as long as they receive plenty of hay. I would also give veggies in small quantities until their tums are settled and avoid sugary treats such as apples and other fruit for now too.

definately a no for the corn - Think what it does to humans :oops:It really isn't good for buns.

I would also avoid the other treats for the moment too.

You could give them 2 or 3 A&P pellets a day as a treat to see if they take them and then hopefully changing them over wont be a prob and after a few weeks I dont see why they cant be on the same diet as your current bunnies.

Can we have some piccies please?? :D

I have Today taken in two rabbits from a family who's kids ignored them and they weren't being looked after properly from what i can see, the Hutch was in 6 inch or more of Straw (no Hay) & Sawdust i wouldn't say dirty but i imagine it's not being getting cleaned properly, so thats been sorted i took out 2 bin bags of stuff out of a large single floored hutch, i have a Dutch buck 4/6 months old who i was told has had a tummy parasite on Pets at home junior food and a 2 Y/O Dwarf Lop Doe also had tummy worms i believe she's on the run of the mill rabbit mixture not pellets, i was told that thier vets has told them to keep them on this food? seems odd? can this be true i want to move them over gradually onto Allen and Page if i can, with fresh veg in the evening and plenty of hay like my other rabbits.

1, Worms/Parasites - could this be because they have not been getting proper cleaning and care?
2, is it likely that they will continue to get tummy worms - reccuring over and over
3, will this issue clear up so long as they are wormed and looked after properly
4, is there any reason that these rabbits should have to stay on their current food?
5, i also got large amounts of treats with them which i never feed my rabbits, things like Corn on the cob, popcorn sticks, Camomile and Beetroot Pellets could this have contributed to thier tummy issues? i tend to go with a slice of apple or something natural as a treat 1-2 a week if that
6, would you think it true that they should stay on thier current food, just dry food, no veg, do you think i can change it with no problems?

if you have anything you can add or advice you can offer please do so, i'm really in need of some help, i may be paniking more than i need to but i really want these rabbits to have a happy home here with our family, they are beauties and i have already taken to them in a big way. they will be going to the vets this week for jabs etc and i will get her to give them a good going over and see what that turns up.

thanks in advance Zeth

One thing that struck me....you say you have a buck and a doe...are either of them neutered? If not you need to separate them!!!

could be many things but a 6week pannacur course should solve it(28days)
2, is it likely that they will continue to get tummy worms - reccuring over and overno as all rabbits should be pannaucred actually worms in rabbits are unusaul but can occour the pannacur is generally used to prevent ec.
3, will this issue clear up so long as they are wormed and looked after properlyit should do and regular vet checks for initial period would help
4, is there any reason that these rabbits should have to stay on their current food? no i would change over but this MUST be done gradually else you will upset their tummys more slowly reduce pelelts they can have unlimited hay provided its not alfalfa or dreid grass which should be introduced gradually ordinary timothy or meadow is fine tho.
5, i also got large amounts of treats with them which i never feed my rabbits, things like Corn on the cob, popcorn sticks, Camomile and Beetroot Pellets could this have contributed to thier tummy issues? i tend to go with a slice of apple or something natural as a treat 1-2 a week if thatmost likely to contribute if they are having sticky poops or excess caeceotrpophs then they need mainly hay and less treats.
6, would you think it true that they should stay on thier current food, just dry food, no veg, do you think i can change it with no problems?yes as above.

thanks in advance Zeth

my main concerns are neutering vaccinations, ec spread and quarrintine . all rabbit should have 2 week qaurintine from your own buns, also they will all need vaccinations to stop any disease spread, disinfe4ct thier hutch dialy too, check with vet for any other problems such as teeth or other issues andec all rabbits should be pannacured 4 tiems a year to prevent ec. x

Off To The Vets

my main concerns are neutering vaccinations, ec spread and quarrintine . all rabbit should have 2 week qaurintine from your own buns, also they will all need vaccinations to stop any disease spread, disinfe4ct thier hutch dialy too, check with vet for any other problems such as teeth or other issues andec all rabbits should be pannacured 4 tiems a year to prevent ec. x

they are off to the Vets Tueday 24th so thats all in hand, i have all my other rabbits done and vaccinated regularaly so no worries there, i did Seperate them when they arrived i noticed he wasn't nipped immediatly, cleaning and feeding is going well and i thought after seeing the Vet i would look at introducing Gradually Allen And Page Pellets from next week providing he felt if ok to do so, Thanks all for the advice it was most helpfull Hopefully they will be happier in thier new home, i'll get some pic's up once i have got them all settled in.

Back