• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why the sudden need to escape?

Pippin all of a sudden has found the need to escape the run constantly.. Including when I'm sat outside watching her. She has loads of hay to eat in her hutch/run, and is happily bonded to Bramley.. She's only a nethie cross, but, she can jump onto the top of the hutch, which is near enough 30" high.. I feel so cruel because they have to be locked in the hutch all of the time. I just don't get why she has this sudden urge to run away.. :? :(

If any one could shed any light on this I'd be most greatful..

Pippin all of a sudden has found the need to escape the run constantly.. Including when I'm sat outside watching her. She has loads of hay to eat in her hutch/run, and is happily bonded to Bramley.. She's only a nethie cross, but, she can jump onto the top of the hutch, which is near enough 30" high.. I feel so cruel because they have to be locked in the hutch all of the time. I just don't get why she has this sudden urge to run away.. :? :(

If any one could shed any light on this I'd be most greatful..

Has she been startled recently by a visitor to the garden?

Several reports of funny behaviour this last week or so, I think it's the time of year. It's just getting a bit warmer and that means they all get a bit naughtier :roll:

Think yourself lucky it's just the run!

Two of my fosters are prolific diggers...it's a nightmare. They have been living as wild rabbits do for the last two years and just can't break the habit. They have dug a load of burrows under my summerhouse and now I have to be extra careful with them as it wouldn't take long for them to borrow right out of the garden, and I have a small field right outside of my back gate!
I keep blocking places up and as soon as they are let out the go round inspecting everything and find somewhere new to start a hole :roll:

Is she neutered? and are they both female?

I'd say that if she hasn't been done and living with another female then she's probably got the urge to find a mate with the warmer weather she's feeling rather randy.

Of course both are neutered then it could just be spring madness.:D

She's neutered and living with a neutered boy..

I think part of the problem is the run is on paving slabs, and the garden she goes to has lots of nice fresh spring grass in it..

So I'm going to grow her some grass, to see if that helps.. But in the mean time, I'm bunny proofing the garden.

Now she's learnt how to do it she's unlikely to stop...
Can't you put a roof on the run? :)

you have the same problem as me! :D You can't leave the lid off the run for more than a few seconds or Cadbury is over it :roll: Guess he'd just rather have the whole garden as his playground and who can blame him :)

I would say she's just got the idea into her head and wants to follow it through. I know when one of mine finds something new and forbidden to explore, i can keep taking them away and blocking off whatever it is, and they just keep on going back until they've finished their mission!

Back