• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionheads - different sizes?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I have seen some tiny lionheads and we have one at college which is like a giant lionhead. Can lionheads come in different sizes, or could they be mixes?

They're smaller than the average rabbit.
My vet reckons Toffee is a mix with an Angora and he is smaller than Ghostie.

They are generally smaller, Shadow and Muffin are lionheads, Crumpet is a lionhead X nethie and all are relatively (sp) small

All of mine are Lionheads and they are all around the same size.. although their fluffiness varies. Holly is mega fluffy, followed by Blue then Sooty, who only has a fluffy mane and then Sweep who doesn't have very much fluff at all and her mane is very small.. Blue and Sweep couldn't be more different really considering they are sisters and the other 2 are thei mum and dad

Just a thought - aren't Lionhead's a relatively new breed, so they're may have been.. uh I dunno... :lol:

Just a thought - aren't Lionhead's a relatively new breed, so they're may have been.. uh I dunno... :lol:

They are a new-ish breed :)

As a standard, they are pretty small, but as with most bunnies it's more than likely a cross. Most of my lionheads have been small, but I have a lionhead x french lop and he's a big lad :)

The 2 bunnies in my siggy are lionhead crosses. Nibbles is a nethie cross, and Wookie is the frenchie cross, which is a pretty big size difference

The show standard in Lionheads is a small rabbit 3lb - 3lb12oz. However the gene that produces the mane on a lionhead is dominant so they only need 1 maned gene of mane no mane pair to produce a baby with a mane. For example if you put a double maned (tend to be very fluffy ) to a normal coated rabbits all the babies will have a mane as the maned parent can only pass on a mane gene. If the maned parent has one mane gene and one normal gene you would get a theoretical mix of 50% with mane and 50% without.
Therefore it is relatively easy to get a lionhead cross that has a mane like a lionhead thus making it a lionhead looking rabbit although it may be big etc.

Hope that makes sense :)
Jessy

my ted is very small, she's not much bigger than a full grown neithe and she has tiny ears, i see some lionheads with massive ears.

Apparently they were originally the size of dwarf lops then have been bred down to be more nethie-sized. As they are quite a new breed there's quite lot of variation - they are all beautiful though:love::love::love:

Back