• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouth breathing URGENT !!!!!!!!!!/ is improving

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Billy is not well at all tonight he keeps coughing and then having trouble to breathe, ive been in touch with the emergency vet and she said he needs pts:cry::cry: is their anything i can do to keep him more comfortable untill i see my vet tomorrow :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Billy is not well at all tonight he keeps coughing and then having trouble to breathe, ive been in touch with the emergency vet and she said he needs pts:cry::cry: is their anything i can do to keep him more comfortable untill i see my vet tomorrow :cry::cry::cry:

Oh poor Billy :cry:

Does he have a snotty nose ? If so can you try to clear the snot for him.
Putting him in a humid environment may help EG in the bathroom whilst running a very hot bath.
Without access to antibiotics/anti-inflammatories/possibly a steroid/oxygen there is not much else you can do 'first aid' wise.
I hope he will make it

if i take him to see this vet their will be one outcome only:cry::cry::cry: and i really dont want to give up on him :cry::cry:
will do the bathroom thing jane thankyou,

their is no discharge its because they,ve removed the abscess on his throat:cry::cry::cry::cry:

good luck... its not nice when our pets get ill. I did the bathroom thing with yoshi and it did clear the snot a bit... so breathing was better

i know you say there will only be one out come if you take him to the vet but firstly you can ask them to try something else or ask for a 2nd opinion.. [at the same time remember they are professionals] But also take into consideration I am sure from what i have read you love your pet.... and wouldn't want it to suffer... :cry::cry: It is a awful situation to be in and i am thinking of you... I am sure you will do all you can. You never know they may put him on oxegen or something it may be worth a phone call just to see....... and remember they can't make you do anything you don't want to [you have to sign a consent form]

Good luck and keep us posted x:love:

Poor billy :cry:

Since it's so soon after the operation how can the vet be sure he won't get better? I would be inclined to give him a bit more time, but I'm not a medical professional :?

I'm sure whatever you decide will be best for this poor little guy.

The vets can't pts without your consent and you can insist on treatment. When Smokey go a secondary infection, on top of his primary breathing problems, the vets gave oxygen, antibiotics and steriods and he pulled through.

This reminds me of my bridge bun Goofball. She was having mouth breathing the night before and then 8 hr. later, she passed away.

I would keep Billy's companion next to him, keep him company, keep the room warm, make sure they both stay indoor for the time being, if he likes certain bunny treat, give it to him because I believe you've done the best you can for Billy.

after a sleepless night billy is still with us this morning, at the moment he is calm and is eating, we,re off to see my vet this morning will update you all when i get back:(

after a sleepless night billy is still with us this morning, at the moment he is calm and is eating, we,re off to see my vet this morning will update you all when i get back:(

Good luck

Its great news that he is eating. Maybe he has some severe inflammation in his respiratory tract as a result of the op' So a high dose of anti-inflammatories and abx may get him through this crisis.

Sending vibes for the brave Billy Bunster :love:

Its great news that he is eating. Maybe he has some severe inflammation in his respiratory tract as a result of the op' So a high dose of anti-inflammatories and abx may get him through this crisis.

I really hope he pull thru. Usually if a bun is eating, that's a great sign. Although this contradict w/ mouth breathing, which is a sign of serious illness

Sending lots of lots of healthy healing vibes to the little furball.

I really hope he pull thru. Usually if a bun is eating, that's a great sign. Although this contradict w/ mouth breathing, which is a sign of serious illness

Sending lots of lots of healthy healing vibes to the little furball.

Nessa was mouth breathing for 10 days when she arrived her but with lots of antibiotics and anti inflammatories she pulled through :)

Back