• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decision day for Nessa, U/D Very bad news /Desicion Made

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Nessa is at the vets tomorrow evening to discuss her abscess and make a decision as to whether a GA is needed.

As you know I had trouble keeping it open and clean, but as it wasn't a large abscess it seemed to be doing quite well on its own. I made the decision rightly or wrongly to leave it alone and wait for her 2 week check up date before taking her back to the vets just to give her a week or so to enjoy life without being poked and proded.

I was becoming quite optomistic that things would be ok until Friday evening when the swelling returned but in a slightly different place, just on the bridge of her nose.
This evening I just picked her up to put back in her cage and I thought her breathing sounded funny again. It is clicking as she breathes, but not snuffly. But she has another lump come up this time on her upper lip just down from her nostril.

All these abscesses are quite small but we obviously haven't got the problem under control. Will a GA to clean these even help the problem? I don't want to put her under if it's not going to help her, I can't risk it.

Last edited:
that's a hard one, could the vets give a local and them clean them.
As you know I'm the type of person who will give things a go, of course I then have to live with the consequences when it goes wrong.
Your vets should be able to tell you if she is fit for a GA, and if they can work fast and only have her under for a short time, it might help sort things out once and for all.
Sorry you have to go through this again, thinking of you and Nessa tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

Awwwwww poor wee Nessa :cry:
I dont know if a full debridement etc under GA would bring about a cure. I guess it would depend on exactly where the infection is origionating from. If she does have a GA then perhaps some radiographs would be a good idea as they may offer more info' re prognosis.
I am sure that between you, you and your Vet will make the best decisions for Nessa.

X-rays would be good, as you know me I like to have all the information available :) The fact that she now has one in the soft skin above her lip makes me think it might not be tooth root related :?

But the thought of a GA makes me feel sick as the thought of loosing her after all we have battled through is unbearable.

Then again if we just open them under a local, if they keep popping up in different places we will never win. :(

I've no advice to give or any knowledge to share, but I'll be thinking of you and Nessa tomorrow. I hope whatever the options and choices available she'll continue to be a really strong willed girl and fight her way through this. Vibes to you both xx

Ive no advice Liz, just want to wish you all luck for tomorrow, i will be thinking of you. I know you, Steve and your vet will make the right decision for Nessa xXx

I am in tears for poor Nessa, the choices for her are not good.

The abscess is draining into one of her incisors. They haven't done anything to the abscesses this evening but have sent me away to make a decision.

The only way to completely drain the abscess is to remove her incisor. But due to her breathing problems the chance of surviving this is very low due to the lenght of time it takes to remove the teeth. We then have no guarentee that it will cure the problem for good.

The other choice to "metacam her up" and do nothing and let her enjoy the time she has left, whether it is weeks or a few months.

What do I do? I am heartbroken for us and for her :(

Oh thats terrible- poor Nessa. I am sure you will make the best decision for her, which ever that is.

What a heart breaking decision to have to make:(
I'm sure you will know in your heart the best route to take for Nessa - either way is very difficult:(

Our initial thought is just let her enjoy what time she has left. The operation would be really invasive, she would need half of her face cutting away as well and afterwards lots of daily squeezing and cleaning. Then there is no guarentee it will work. And I know there is no way she could cope with it all, she still screams before I even touch her just to give her metacam.

But to sit back and do nothing also seems a difficult thing to do, we want to give her every chance possible as it is a miracle she has got this far.

Jen, the vet, was also visably upset, she knows how hard all of us and Nessa have battled to get her through her respiratory infection. Life is so unfair sometimes

:cry:

If her respiratory problems are confined to her upper respiratory tract then would it not be possible to intubate her for the GA and therefore enable assisted ventilation :?

What a horrible decision for you to have to make. I dont know what I'd do. I think I am leaning towards risking the op'. But you know Nessa and I am sure you will make the decision that is right for her.

ETA having just read your last post I am now thinking perhaps I would opt for the paliative care approach.........:?

xx

Last edited:

If her respiratory problems are confined to her upper respiratory tract then would it not be possible to intubate her for the GA and therefore enable assisted ventilation :?

What a horrible decision for you to have to make. I dont know what I'd do. I think I am leaning towards risking the op'. But you know Nessa and I am sure you will make the decision that is right for her.

xx

If she had a different personality and had had a different life then maybe it would be more worth the risk.

She is almost impossible to handle due to fear and has spent the whole of her life as a breeding machine in disgusting conditions.

I would never forgive myself if she died under GA without the chance to enjoy life a little without being stressed out all the time. I want some nice weather so she can go outside for a run and find out what a binky is.

I just feel now, rightly or wrongly, that if we risked the op and lost her she would have died never knowing what it was like to be a bit carefree and maybe even start to trust people.

Like I say, we need some time to think but giving her a chance to enjoy life however short is very important to us :)

I don't want to influence you, but you know me, and I would go for the op.
If she doesn't make it, she won't be aware, and you have done all you can. If she does make it, she will be poorly to begin with, and so handling may be less of an issue for her.
I can also understand opting for just controlling her symptoms as it may well be less stressful, either way it won't be a wrong decision.

Sorry it was bad news, and hope you can come to a decision.

If she had a different personality and had had a different life then maybe it would be more worth the risk.

She is almost impossible to handle due to fear and has spent the whole of her life as a breeding machine in disgusting conditions.

I would never forgive myself if she died under GA without the chance to enjoy life a little without being stressed out all the time. I want some nice weather so she can go outside for a run and find out what a binky is.

I just feel now, rightly or wrongly, that if we risked the op and lost her she would have died never knowing what it was like to be a bit carefree and maybe even start to trust people.

Like I say, we need some time to think but giving her a chance to enjoy life however short is very important to us :)

I agree, quality of life is the most important factor.

Back