• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this sound suitable?

tomcat

Young Bun
Hello :)

I have not had a rabbit for a while now, and when i did, he just lived in a hutch outside. However, now i want a pair of house rabbits.

Does this sound suitable for them?

I have an 8'x6' room spare that they can call home. If i kitted it out with this, would it be suitable -

2 Dog bed - One with hay in
Food bowl
Water bowl
Litter tray
Toys

Would i need to put some sort of cage in there? Eg a carry cage or will they be ok without?

Also, is it best to get a pair of females or males?
Which breed grows to be large, but not huge?

I will ask more questions than this im sure ;)
Thank you :)

That sounds fine.
Male-Female bonds tend to work better than Male-Male and Female-Female.
You can rescue an already bonded pair from a rescue the right size for you :wave:

Sounds great:D
As long as there are no wires to be chewed etc it sounds fine.
They are lots of bunnies on here that need homes,take a look.:D
A male and female are better together:D

Great, will a water bowl be ok then? Wont need a bottle?

Yeah, i will be rescueing them rather than buying :) & No, there are no wires as the room is completly empty, all sockets are half way up the walls aswel

Yay :D I'm so pleased for the potential bunnies!
Yes, my 3 have a water bowl and two bottles and they prefer drinking from the bowl, it's more natural :)

Should i buy a large dog bowl for the food or 2 medium sized so they have one each? Also, are Pets at home nuggest ok for them?

Mine live in a 6ft x 12ft enclosure and they just have loads of hidey holes where they can sleep but prefer to sleep next to their log!
I'm purchasing dog beds though :)
You can get better deals than P@H nuggets that are better quality than the P@H brand.
The 3 most popular pellets which people use on here are:

A&P: 20kg RRP £8.50
Burgess Excel: 10kg RRP £12
Science Selective : ??

I'm changing mine over from Excel to A&P :wave:

Thats it then :) A&P it is. Im going to fill a large plastic bin with rabbit food, with a scoop to fill the bowl with, so i will get the 20kg :)

Will they use the big plumbing pipes and things?

Thats it then :) A&P it is. Im going to fill a large plastic bin with rabbit food, with a scoop to fill the bowl with, so i will get the 20kg :)

Will they use the big plumbing pipes and things?

Hehe, it's high in fibre too :wave:
Sounds good.
I bought some piping for my 3 and they didn't use it, only the guinea pigs, but that was probably as it was too small for a bun. Larger piping i'm sure they'll love :)

Sounds great :)

Personally I would go for something like a dog crate as a 'base' even if you aren't intending to shut them in it. There are a few reasons for this - firstly it means that you can shut them in if you ever need to - e.g. if one of them is poorly and needs to be confined, you need to move them temporarily, or even for silly things like you're vacuuming! If they are already 'used' to this area as a base they are likely to be less distressed because it isn't another change. Also if you are going on holiday you could take the crate to wherever they are staying so they have a familiar base. Bunnies also like somewhere to hide, so a crate allows you to create a little 'den' area for them to feel they can retire to safely.

For pairs I always just use one set of things and they share them. It does depend on the rabbits though - most prefer a bowl but some will just tip it over and be better off with a bottle (another good thing about a crate - somewhere to put a bottle!)

It's great that you are looking for a pair - many existing pairs spend a long time in rescue because people are often looking for a single rabbit to bond with their existing one. I'm sure you won't have any difficulty in finding an existing pair that suits your size/personality desires :)

I had a single rabbit before, and he was so active and always having fun, but he always seeked my attention and i wished i got him a little bunny friend now so they could play together :)

Where can i order A&P from online?

What toys will they like?

Before you go ordering any food I would find the bunnies that you want to adopt - and stick with whatever food that particular rescue is feeding to start off with. You can then change them over slowly over a period of time if you prefer. A&P has a very short 'use by' date so I wouldn't go buying it now - it is a huge bag anyway so you'll probably struggle to use it all anywhere near its suggested date!

Toys - depends on the bun...my pairs have a snugglesafe warren each...one pair likes cardboard boxes to chew, destroy and play in...the other pair likes wicker baskets to chew and toss around. Some buns like old copies of the yellow pages to rip and destroy. Some like to climb and sit on top of things. It's trial and error to a certain extent :)

Ah, good idea about the food :)

Yeah, i guess ill just have to wait and see about the toys then, do some rabbits just not like toys?

Ah, good idea about the food :)

Yeah, i guess ill just have to wait and see about the toys then, do some rabbits just not like toys?

Mine don't play with toys, just prefer to do stuff like jumping, digging, crawling through tunnels, building tunnels out of hay bales :roll:.
They have plenty of toys though, but they only really use the food dispenser (Russel Rabbit thing) (I just put some pellets in from their bowl and they love it although Ghostie hogs it!)
Filling toilet tubes up with hay is a good game for them though, they enjoy that :)

One of mine doesn,t like toys but loves toilet roll tubes filled with hay and treats.
All mine love things to chew too:D

Back