• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay Wound Problem?

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Holland Lop named Beasley who I just got spayed Friday. I just wanted to run some things by you because I don't know whether I'm worrying over nothing and because I can't take her back to the vet until tomorrow morning. She stayed overnight at the vets on Friday night and I brought her home on Saturday afternoon. She was drinking almost immediately but not eating her hay/pellets. I read that this is pretty normal and to coax her with some favorite foods so I gave her some carrot which she ate immediately. Anyway, this morning I can see that she has peed but as far as I can see she hasn't pooed. She did do some after the surgery but I can't find any that she did since she ate yesterday. That's worry number one.

Secondly, when she came home from the vet her wound was clean, and flat. Now it's raised up and it is a weird orangey red color - looks like a strange color of blood? I don't know if it's that or if maybe it's something they put on there during the surgery??? It's not gushing blood or anything b/c there is no sign of anything on her bedding. Also I caught her a couple of times trying to tug at her stitches, so I hope she didn't mess anything up during the night by doing this.

Behaviour wise she seems fine. She doesn't seem distressed and she's a bit more lively than she was when she came home from the vet.

Apologies for the long post, but are these normal problems or am I right to be worried?

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Holland Lop named Beasley who I just got spayed Friday. I just wanted to run some things by you because I don't know whether I'm worrying over nothing and because I can't take her back to the vet until tomorrow morning. She stayed overnight at the vets on Friday night and I brought her home on Saturday afternoon. She was drinking almost immediately but not eating her hay/pellets. I read that this is pretty normal and to coax her with some favorite foods so I gave her some carrot which she ate immediately. Anyway, this morning I can see that she has peed but as far as I can see she hasn't pooed. She did do some after the surgery but I can't find any that she did since she ate yesterday. That's worry number one.

Secondly, when she came home from the vet her wound was clean, and flat. Now it's raised up and it is a weird orangey red color - looks like a strange color of blood? I don't know if it's that or if maybe it's something they put on there during the surgery??? It's not gushing blood or anything b/c there is no sign of anything on her bedding. Also I caught her a couple of times trying to tug at her stitches, so I hope she didn't mess anything up during the night by doing this.

Behaviour wise she seems fine. She doesn't seem distressed and she's a bit more lively than she was when she came home from the vet.

Apologies for the long post, but are these normal problems or am I right to be worried?

im not sure hun- someone will be able to help soon i think. Id ring the vets and get advice, it could be that she has pulled a couple of her stitches and made it a bit sore.

Can you see on ''opening'' in the stitch line?
x

If she has not poo'd she needs to see a Vet before tomorrow.
She may need a gut motility stimulant and she should have been discharged with a few days supply of pain relief (Metacam)

If the wound is weeping this is abnormal and another reason to consult a Vet today.

Good luck and please keep us updated :)

Thanks for the quick responses. My family just made me calm down and take another look at the wound and it is dry, just this strange color- it's not oozing anything out. I think she might have just pulled her stitches a bit tighter.. I don't know if that's possible but that's what it looks like - like fabric would pucker a bit if you pulled the stitches in that. She's so used to having full run of the house and so desperately wants out that I'm letting her have a little hop in a small space. Like I said, as far as behaviour goes, she's acting just like normal so hopefully that means that she'll start eating more and pooping more soon. I'm going to give it a couple more hours to see if she starts, do you think that's ok?

Thanks for the quick responses. My family just made me calm down and take another look at the wound and it is dry, just this strange color- it's not oozing anything out. I think she might have just pulled her stitches a bit tighter.. I don't know if that's possible but that's what it looks like - like fabric would pucker a bit if you pulled the stitches in that. She's so used to having full run of the house and so desperately wants out that I'm letting her have a little hop in a small space. Like I said, as far as behaviour goes, she's acting just like normal so hopefully that means that she'll start eating more and pooping more soon. I'm going to give it a couple more hours to see if she starts, do you think that's ok?

If she has not poo'd since yesterday then IMO I think you should contact a Vet now. Even if she is behaving normally not pooing at all is not normal and needs Veterinary attention sooner rather than later.

Ok I'll do it now then. Thanks for the help with this.. she's my first rabbit so I'm sometimes not sure what to do. Anyway, I'll let you know what happens.

Back