• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice asap

winniebarney

Warren Scout
my hubby works our ferrets but has bought a live baby bun home...
i have put her in a hutch outside with some hay greens and mushy pellets.
we think she is approx 4 weeks old..
what are the odds of keeping her alive and taming her??
will try and post pic but not sure how to do this!!!

im not really sure, but there will be people on here who can help. how come you have such a young bun?

You should really hand the bunny to the nearest wildlife hospital. It's not fair to keep a wild animal in captivity, and i'm not sure of the legal position.
Hand rearing is never easy, and she'll been in shock. She may need medical treatment even if you can't see any injuries :?
If you really want to hand rear baby buns I suggest you contact your local rescues to see if they need any help..

well she has settle down well for now
so has a good body weight we think
we have made available mushy pellets how mushy should they be??
water in a bowl
hay
and spring cabbage

are we doing the right thing with food

sarah son daniel

Only give her food she will have access to in the wild for now, cabbage and human vegetables are a no-no as they could lead to a digestive upset and enterotoxemia taking hold. A probiotic supplement in the water would be a good aid.

As a wild bunny at 4 weeks she should be weaned so a milk subsitute won't be necessary, my wildie was approx 5 weeks when I got her and she thrived on hay and wild forage....we introduced pellets slowly and in limited quantities.

She will need access to water from a small bowl that she cannot fall into (she wont know how to use a bottle) and will need somewhere dark and warm to hide. The first 48 hours will be crucial so I would recommend leaving her alone as much as possible to try and minimise shock duing this time period.

I'm afraid the success rate with wildies is not great because they are usually very scared of people even at a young age, and though being weaned will work to her advantage, if she wont eat voluntarily force feeding will be just as likely to cause her death through shock as leaving her to take her chances.

Good Luck.

"will need somewhere dark and warm to hide. The first 48 hours will be crucial so I would recommend leaving her alone as much as possible to try and minimise shock duing this time"

do you mean indoor is best for her as she is outside in a shelted area

:)Hi
Well done for trying to save the little bunny but i would strongly recommend taking her to the vets or rspca as she may need treatment for shock [something we can't do ourselves sadly] they will be able to give her injection if this the case and monitor her closely. Once they know whether she is going to be ok they should be able to give you an idea what to do for her for the best. It is there job to look after wild animals so that would always be my first port of call. Good luck and keep us posted keeping everything crossed for you & the little one :(:(

Don't Do It.... Baby Bunny Will Die!!!

if you are planning to release rather than taking to a animal resuce centre then you are putting it to certain DEATH :cry:

A 4wk old bunny will not have any chance of survial on its own. If it doesn't die from the shock it will certainly die from a preditor or the cold...
If youy ring someone like rspca or another local animal rescuer they will take it from you and give it the care it needs. You can even take it to a emergency vet [you won't be charged] and they will look after it.

Please please do the right thing do not release it now! get help and fast so this little one has a real chance :?

just an update hubby didnt have the heart to release her!!
she is safe and sound in hutch!!
have phoned local wildlife sancturary and they said we are perfectly legal to keep her!!
as her eyes are open and she runs around she should be able to eat the same as socks and marble!!
so now need vibes for cocoa as i have called her!!!!

As your in Nuneaton please take it to the Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary they will know what's best for it.
Their number is 02476 345243

ETA just realized you've contacted them :D

Thanks For The Update

:love::love::love:Thats great news well hope she does well and makes a nice new family member I am sure you will do the best for her. Good Luck :wave:

I don't want to sound nasty just curious why didn't he just kill it? What was the difference between that one to its mum that the ferret prob got?
Sorry just don't get how you can kill its mates and not that. I know you have 2 bun as pets but do you not feel bad about the poor wild ones?
I cry when I see them on road. :cry:

cocoa was all alone in the rabbit hole so would have died anyways!!
as for killing her even men have hearts!!!
we love our animals and are doing the best for cocoa!!
i wont say that i dont need help but think we can raise her!!!!!

sarah

Back