• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horse rubber matting

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Seen this mentioned a few times as a preventative for sore hocks. Since being outside Faline and now Molly are starting to get bald patches on their hocks, I think it's being out on the damp veranda as the inside of their playhouse is layed out pretty much as it's always been when they were indoors. So I'm trying to fix it before it gets worst.

Where can I but it (cheapest/best?) and what kind do I get?

Have a look in the Robinson's catalogue, they sell it. You could probably get away with the thinest type. You could also try some stables and dairies, they will use matting and maybe you will be able to get offcuts or old ones being thrown out.

Not sure how big an area you need to cover but have you tried the children's play area safety mats from Homebase? They're really thick square mats made from recycled rubber. Not sure if buns would chew them but they're pretty solid so they'd be doing well if they did. They cost about £5.99 each and are 50cm square.

I got some of the kids mats things from B&Q last week - 4 for £12.99 on their "when its gone, its gone" area. They do about 4ft x 4ft I think.

When I looked at the horse matting it was quite hard.

my buns have a rubber door mat on their ledges to stop Spice slipping and ive never seen either of them chew it :D :D

please be careful with rubber matting - I used some thinner type car mat in my pen and it was chewed - one of my rabbits died (few years ago now) and the vet thought it was a posible cause.

Back