• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur & vaccs

Ideally leave 5 days after any vaccination before a panacur course.

Really, my Vet says its OK to give a vac during a course of Panacur :? Obviously not when the course is to treat an 'active EC' .

Will one effect the other :? Something to do with the immune response to the vaccine perhaps :?

Ideally leave 5 days after any vaccination before a panacur course.

Thats interesting and has obvious implications for rescues/sanctuaries who have lots of rabbits in/coming in.

Which would you recommend is done first in this situation the vaccination or the panacur? Unless there is obvious EC signs.

Our vet recommends the Myxi first and then panacur for 9 days in the 2 weeks between before the VHD vac if worming falls at the same time as vacs are due.

My girls are overdue the panacur by about a month and we are hoping to get some at the vets when they go for their myxi boosters. I'll leave 5 days after their vacc before giving the panacur.

Really, my Vet says its OK to give a vac during a course of Panacur :? Obviously not when the course is to treat an 'active EC' .

Will one effect the other :? Something to do with the immune response to the vaccine perhaps :?

There is a school of thought that the fenbendazole can affect the bone marrow function and hence a 28day course has potential to reduce immune function and vaccine response. I, and a couple of other rabbit/exotic vets who I've shared my concerns with, would rather leave a lag period between vaccine and panacur treatment to prevent any compromise and risk a reduced response to the vaccine.
The effects of 9day vs 28day on the immune system have yet to be fully investigated.

There should be no conflict with symptomatic EC bunnies as vaccines should only ever be given to 'well' animals and wouldn't be used until symptoms resolved. I can see that there may be a time issue with rescues if trying to rehome as quickly as possible but new owners could be given the panacur to treat with? For new rabbits coming in I would opt for vaccine first personally, then panacur, and keeping them isolated until all treatment completed would be ideal.

There is a school of thought that the fenbendazole can affect the bone marrow function and hence a 28day course has potential to reduce immune function and vaccine response. I, and a couple of other rabbit/exotic vets who I've shared my concerns with, would rather leave a lag period between vaccine and panacur treatment to prevent any compromise and risk a reduced response to the vaccine.
The effects of 9day vs 28day on the immune system have yet to be fully investigated.

There should be no conflict with symptomatic EC bunnies as vaccines should only ever be given to 'well' animals and wouldn't be used until symptoms resolved. I can see that there may be a time issue with rescues if trying to rehome as quickly as possible but new owners could be given the panacur to treat with? For new rabbits coming in I would opt for vaccine first personally, then panacur, and keeping them isolated until all treatment completed would be ideal.

Thanks Marie :)

Also, my Vet has expressed concerns re the over-use of Panacur.
Has anyone elses ?

I couldn't agree more. I think panacur is being used far too readily and my vet thinks this also. He said only a few weeks ago that 'people these days panacur things to death'. I don't speak just about rabbits here admittedly but other creatures we get in. We get in a lot of hedgehogs and I only ever treat them for worms after I have done a faecal analysis under the microscope and then make a judgement. We have just had to buy 'Telmin' a HORSE WORMER for hedgehogs as panacur is almost becoming ineffective. What will we use when we get strains of panacur resistant EC??

I do not know the solution other than only panacuring if necessary but this would be costly for blood tests and unfeasible. Perhaps this should be a whole other thread!

I'm only panacuring twice a year. One of the times is after boarding. And you also have to look at "is the 9day preventative course actually doing its job"? If it isn't then it's probably best to panacur when EC arrives so they don't become resistant. :? :?:

My brain hurts too much to start thinking about EC/Panacur again tonight. I always end up tying myself up in knots and getting mega confused :oops:

I'm thinking maybe I should Panacur more times. The rabbits are outdoors, I work in a pet shop that sells rabbits, and I go to college where I handle rabbits. Is this quite high-risk? Should I maybe panacur three-four times a year?

I'm finding it hard to get everything right in my head too. Sometimes when buns come in the priority if they are healthy is to get them neutered so that means I need to panacur first so then I can't get them vaccinated :?

At the moment I only panacur bunnies that have possible EC symptoms and repeat it twice yearly. Saying that most of my bunnies seem to have some kind of Ec symptom :roll:

Hmmmmmmm this is very interesting, being mainly a sanctuary and getting a lot of older bunnies in we always panacur first in readiness for castration or speying and then vaccinate we always do myxo first and then 2 weeks later do VHD if the bunny is well enough

Back