• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange Poo

Dani_x

Warren Scout
My rabbit has normal poos (round, small, goldish colour) but she also has like long sticky ones if you get me. what is this? anything to worry about?

These are ceotrophs. You shouldn't really see them as they should eat them straight from their anus. If you are seeing them, then it is likely that they have too much protein in their diet. What are they fed on?

oh well she doesnt ever eat them. they are always in her cage :S and on my floor. she has excel pellets, hay, and a variety of fruit and vegetables, with a few treats from the pet shop like the fruit sticks, and things.

I'd gradually change over to a more fibreous pellet, such as Science Selective or Allen & Page. And I'd also cut out the treats too. How much hay would you say she eats? How much pellets does she get?

i will do. some days she eats lots, others she doesnt seem bothered with it. she has 20g of pellets in the morning and then 20g in the evening.

I'd also say to reduce the amount of pellets. My girls get 10g of Science Selective each, and that's enough. 40g is quite a lot.

is that twice a day? i thought it looked quite alot because shes only small. i just followed what it said on the back lol

I feed mine less than it says on the packet too. ;) My two have an eggcup of food in the morning and another at night between the two of them. I'm not sure of the weight but I'm sure they don't have as much as 40g each.

Try reducing the amount of pellets first, and cut out the fruit sticks at the same time. The main part of the diet should be hay so make sure there is lots available. My two seem to prefer it fresh out of the bag/box (don't know why :lol:) so I top up their hay 4 or 5 times a day.

If there is still no change then you may need to gradually switch to a diiferent food as LionheadLuver suggested. My bunnies have no problems with excess cecals when fed Excel, but some people have experienced it with their buns.

Also, how much fruit/veg are you feeding and what kinds? If bunny is still only young, then it may be that you are feeding too much or veg that it isn't used to and this can also cause poo problems.

so shes getting alot more than she should be? shes a mini lop and shes almost 5 months old. well her usual day would be, 20g of pellets in the morning. then i put a small amount of celery, tomato, carrot, cucumber on her stick thing. then in the evening she has another 20g of pellets, and a small amount of cress. she has hay available all day. i will cut out the fruit sticks, and doughnuts then.

Back