• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles ;o(

holder

Alpha Buck
Pepe gets snuffles a lot, i know he gets it when the weather changes mostly. Pepe started to sneeze about 2 weeks ago, but there was no dicharge with the sneezing, but i took him straight to the vets as i knew it would be a matter of time before the discharge started. The vet gave him an injection plus Baytril which i give to him twice a day. Usually it clears up before the Baytril is finished, but he has only one days worth left & he is sneezing more now, a lot of the time for long periods & his head really shakes when he is sneezing. This is the worst i have seen him, he never used to sneeze has much or as long as he is now & i am getting really worried about him. He is eating & drinking.
I will be phoning the vets & will be going back to the vets on Monday has i am so worried.
Is there anything that anyone can tell me about any treatment that can help Pepe, so i can ask my vet to give to him.
Any help at all please.... Thank you

Hi, my rabbit used to sneeze a lot when i kept him on wood shavings/sawdust. I took the shavings away (cos after course of baytril he was no better) and he's been much better ever since! He used to sneeze but had no discharge. Maybe you could try that?? I just keep henry on newspaper and dust free hay/straw.

He may just need a longer course, I have seen a course of baytril for 6 weeks suggested as routine treatment for snuffles. The nasal passages are full of tiny little 'pockets' so it can take a long while for the antibiotic to get right to the heart of the problem.

Personally I use oxytetracycline long acting injections for my snuffly one - my vet has taught me to inject and it's one injection every 3 days, I usually give a good few weeks as a course each time she has a flare up.

There are some other antibiotics that can be used if baytril doesn't seem to be working - septrin seems to work for many (banana flavoured so easy to give!), I have also used ronaxan (doxycycline), and I have known others have success with a combination of septrin and metronizadole. There are other options if baytril doesn't seem to be working - baytril is usually the 'first choice' because it is the only antibiotic of this type licensed for use in rabbits. If it's worked in the past it may just be that he needs a longer course this time, or it may be that he's now got resistant and needs something else.

I would also ask your vet about bisolvon. I give a little pinch to Santa when she is snuffly as it thins the mucus and helps it all to 'pass' more easily. I mix it with a drop of echinacea and 1ml water and she drinks it straight from the syringe...yummy!

It may also be worth trying to change the bedding to something else etc in case you've got a particularly dusty batch of hay or something that is irritating him. Got to be worth a go!

is there any change in the environment? Such as a new hale of hay, wood shaving etc.? Is your bun's diet the same, both in drinking and eating?

Back