• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits with blue eyes are deaf!?

Zara

Mama Doe
I know rabbits with lbue eyes arn't all too common, but i've been told blue eyed rabbits are usually deaf, or will go deaf o_0; I've alkso been told blindess is likely! I want to call shenanigans on this since Batbunny can obviously hear things, but what does blue eyes in rabbits mean? Is there a reason why it's uncommon?

Oh thats interesting. Our Fizz has blue eyes, hes only young yet but I think he sees and hears normally. Interested to hear more about this.

Sapphire definately isn't deaf, I think she has problems with her eye sight, however, but I don't think that's a genetic default amongst all BEW's.

xx

Batbunny is a B.A.B though :lol: never seen a black/silver tipped rabbit with blue eyes before.

Nah... Its kind of a myth for some reason that all albinos are either blind or deaf...while it is true it is common in some species that they have bad eyesight or similar, but having blue eyes doesn't automatically make a rabbit neither blind or deaf:3
I know a few who breed for blue-eyed whites and they would never breed genetically deaf rabbits.

Ahh that's good, I knew Batbunny wasnm't deaf (he watches TV) but i worried about the future, cheers.

Roger is a BEW and he's fine.

There was an article in the last Rabbiting On that said BEW's are more prone to epilepsy though.

we have a BEW just come into the rescue. I'll ask chloe if he shows any signs but if he is it isn't noticable.

I have a hustlander two ! They are lovely

They are not deaf, they just don't listen to me

Eyesight is fine too, can see a grape from 20 yards, no problem

Angel is a BEW lop. She is also deaf ONLY when she feels like it and has eyes that can spot a carrot at twenty paces...

I say we start a picture thread for blue eyed rabbits since i think blue eyes are gorgeous :D

Wasnt yours from the same place as mine? or have i got mixed up:oops:

I got my boys from a lady/girl called alison who was a vet's nurse I believe

They were originally posted by lind80 who no longer seems to be active

If Alison is reading or anyone knows her, please pass on my thanks, from what I understand a true angel of mercy to the animal world

Here is the original thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=74459&highlight=theo+corey

I think I misheard their names and now they are called theo and cody, they have also filled out quite a bit as you can see in more recent pics on the forum

Are they related to your one ? I would love to hear stories of yours, mine are really lovely, very friendly, but can be monkeys when they want to be

Back