• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pickle Just Screamed!

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Pickle Pud, Toffee and Ghostie were free ranging in the garden.
Spider decided it'd be a good idea to go flying out, and this startled poor Pickle.
About half an hour later, i caught Ghostie to go in, and it was just impossible to catch Pickle, he was flying around like a bat out of hell, running like a wild rabbit.
Finally a friend and i cornered him, and when i caught him he screamed :cry:
What shall i do?
I gave them their dinner early and he is happily chomping on that :(

Awww poor Pickle. I would just leave him alone to calm down, I'm sure he'll be fine. It sounds as if his bunny 'prey' instinct kicked in when he saw Spider running out, a bit like you'd freak out if someone came running at you waving a gun - he thought he was going to be eaten by Spider. He was probably still thinking 'don't get caught - that means being eaten' when you caught him later, especially if you had any of Spider's smell on your hands or clothes. Feeling trapped and cornered is usually very frightening to a bunny.

I think you'll just have to be really careful about making sure that Spider is in the house whenver the rabbits are out, it sounds as if this sensitive little soul is likely to think that Spider=death, even though you know that isn't the case.

Hope the little lad calms down quickly :)

Awww poor Pickle. I would just leave him alone to calm down, I'm sure he'll be fine. It sounds as if his bunny 'prey' instinct kicked in when he saw Spider running out, a bit like you'd freak out if someone came running at you waving a gun - he thought he was going to be eaten by Spider. He was probably still thinking 'don't get caught - that means being eaten' when you caught him later, especially if you had any of Spider's smell on your hands or clothes. Feeling trapped and cornered is usually very frightening to a bunny.

I think you'll just have to be really careful about making sure that Spider is in the house whenver the rabbits are out, it sounds as if this sensitive little soul is likely to think that Spider=death, even though you know that isn't the case.

Hope the little lad calms down quickly :)

That's what i thought. It was wierd as Spider usually lays down in the kennel with the rabbits and it's never bothered him. Naughty Spider flying out like that :no: Poor Pickle, thinking that i was going to eat him :(

aw poor Pickle. :( I'm sure he will get over his shock soon enough.
Must have been really scary to hear that.

It was horrific, like i was going to kill him. I've only ever heard a rabbit screaming when my cat was trying to kill a wildie (i saved it though)

Whenever i go up to the kennel he runs away :cry:
Usually they all come hopping up :cry:
What should i do?

Poor bunny! :( I hope he will be fine tomorrow. However, I agree with Santa: it may be best to keep Spider away from the bunnies.

It was horrific, like i was going to kill him. I've only ever heard a rabbit screaming when my cat was trying to kill a wildie (i saved it though)

Whenever i go up to the kennel he runs away :cry:
Usually they all come hopping up :cry:
What should i do?

He'll be okay in a couple of days. He's had two frights in one day - Spider spooking him and then you chasing him round to catch him while he was still unsettled. Just leave him alone and let him come round to you. Whatever you do don't try to get hold of him for a few days as you will scare him even more and it will take longer for him to trust you again.

Poor Pickle :( I really try and avoid chasing the rabbits to get them in, if there out, as it spooks them out and leaves them bit to unsettled for my liking.
Holli will usally run away from me when I try and pick her up in the run, so i put the carrier box in, and let her go to it then pick it up once shes hopped in :)
Hope Pickle is feeling better soon xxx

Just a note to say Pickle is back to his usual naughty self. He is also fine with the dog.
Today he was nussling me for food :) Cheeky monster, he's got that habbit from Ghostie!

Back