• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit noises!

albo

Warren Scout
Has anyone ever heard of bunnies making a noise a bit like honking as they hop around?

I have heard this a few times and thought it was our bun, but decided it wasnt...but today she did it again as she mooched into the kitchen and it was definately her......it was kind of a low quite honk....hahahahahahahaha i sound mad!!!

Has anyone else had this from their bun???

PHEW.....Im glad it not me going loopy :shock: would be good to know if anyone else has had this!

Hugo honks all the time! He usually does it when he's excited when he's getting a treat or a new toy or something - it sounds weird because his breathing is a little squeaky because of his missing nose so it's more of a sqeaky honk :lol: I read in a bunny book that soft honking and circling your feet is kind of a courtship thing - not sure if that's right though.

:wave:

Mmmm this reminds me of when we first got 'Jessica' the cute little girl baby rabbit. Cue honking and rampant humping of her toys and a very quick 'castration' and...er...Jess the boy bunny!!! :lol:

yup, Cookie used to do it a lot before he had Bella to play with. Does it when he circles my feet at playtime...think he fancies me :oops:

if she's not already neutered she might be honking as she reaches sexual maturity.....it tends to die down when neutered.....although after recently bonding my trio into a 4 I noticed that my bun sooty who's been neutered for 2 years has started again.

Agree with ^^ that it may be a sign of sexual maturity if your bun isn't neutered yet. Most of my indoor buns still make the noise occasionally when they're excited or cross!! :lol: x

Im still laughing at so many honking buns!

She was spayed about 3 weeks ago now, but good to know we are not alone!

Thank God you see I thought only rabbits made noise when they were upset or in pain lol but I hear scooch make little noises when I pick him up I always think I'm hurting him...maybe I am? ooh I remember the awful squeak he made when joey attacked him :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Blue has noises......He does the honking if I'm in another room and he thinks he's missing out on something.
He also sighs sometimes when he's getting comfey.

I don't mean to be really nosey (or make such a horrific pune) but what do you mean by Hugo not having a nose?

oh god yes!The one and only buck we had used to run around the room with abit of paper in its mouth,honking!he used to get so excited when he ran off with the paper!:lol:

Has anyone ever heard of bunnies making a noise a bit like honking as they hop around?

YES !!!!!! Mine does, and I've been quite worried about it. Having found nothing about this type of noise anywhere I was presuming he had a problem. I notice it most when I am lying on the floor and he hops around my head, so he is quite a quiet honker. It kind of sounds like a creaky, eee-ore type of noise (hard to explain) and it happens on each hop. I don't think he always does it, only sometimes, but I am relieved to hear that other buns do it too.

My rabbits grunt when they are either demanding attention or telling me to P*** off :lol: Firefly will sometimes grunt and thump at the same time if he's "demanding" that I stroke him and I ignore his first request (usually I'm doing college work) And Batbunny will let out a high-pitched grunt if he's fed up with Firefly never grooming him back after Batbunny had been grooming him for ages as if to say "come on do me now!", so I come and groom poor Bats if Firefly is still being a lazy fat bum.

I think Firefly is taking being the dominant rabbit too seriously :lol:

He also "chatters" furiously and clicks his teeth if he's really enjoying an ear massage, he loves having his ears stroked.

I'm guessing honking is the same as rabbit grunting.

I think this site is pretty good for explaining he basics of bunny talk, althoguh each rabbit is different:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk.html

Back