• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bale of hay - how long do they last?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I'll be getting a bale of hay for the rabbits. How long do they last? I have two rabbits, I change their bedroom daily, and they get about three handfuls daily in their run. Would it be best to split the hay into bin bags to keep it fresher?

I split it into bin bags for convenience rather than to keep it fresher, as long as it's kept dry I don't think it makes a lot of difference. If anything it would be better not stored in plastic I'd have thought. I get through about a bale a month for 4 bunnies. As you spread hay in their run daily I'd have thought you would use about the same, maybe a little more.

My bale probably lasts between 4-6 weeks but I tend to give them loads and change it more often than needed. It should keep fine as it is, as long as you keep it somewhere dry, as Alison said. Mine is kept inside in an old duvet cover in the shed. ;)

If anything it would be better not stored in plastic I'd have thought.

Should I then just get the amount I want when I need it into a plastic bag rather than bag it all up straight away for a month? It'll be kept in a shed which is new and has no holes (for mice/rats etc).

I fill a cardboard box up from the bale and keep that to hand to use daily. ;);)

I put mine in black bin liners... but i dont tie them, i leave the tops open :) It seems to keep ok.

I get through 2 bales a month, but have 4 buns of my own and 4 fosters :) xXx

I go through a bale every three weeks or so,that is for three piggies and three bunnies.I use it for bedding and keep it in the garage in a wheelie bin.

On a farm, farmers keep it in a barn and it will keep for over a year, as long as you keep it clean and dry, away from animals it will last you as long as you want. Some people store part bales in a sack and hang it up in a dry place until they are ready to use it, others put it in a wheelie bin. If kept clean and dry it will last as long as you want it to.

Back