• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metacam dose *update*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
hiya everyone.
bisc and matt went back to the vets today as i wasn't happy with how snuffly they were and bisc was really struggling when he was asleep.
they are both now on metacam as an anti-inflammatry and also penicillin injections. i struggled a bit with the injection and managed to squirt penicillin all over the vet and the vet nurse! :oops:
i'm sure i'll get the hang of it!
anyway, so i'm happy that bisc and matt are now getting the treatment they need and hopefully they'll start to improve and get better. :)

By the way, What's the name of the penicillin you're using? Just out of interest: no intention of starting another massive debate this time!

i don't know the name - they had an injection of it today and we have to go and pick up the rest on monday as they didn't have any in. :roll:
the thing i'm worried about is that we weren't given any probiotics or anything for whilst they are on the metacam and penicillin injections. they both have proC probiotic anyway in their water.
just found it strange he didn't mention any.

Sorry to hijack your thread. Ive been using Probiotic c powder for the babie bunnies for nearly 2wks now. Should i give them it all the time. They have water and one with it in. I start to give it to them when Sammie wasnt gaining weight and now she is 1lb 1oz it seemed to encourage her to eat. The guinea pigs have it all the time and it is changed at least 2 times a day.

dumps

I think as the penicillin is given by injection it will not cause any gut problems, it's only when given orally it will cause problems. If on metacam long term I would ask for zantac as metacam can cause gastric ulcers

the metacam is only going to be short term so should be ok. i thought it would be ok, but just wanted to check...as usual! they are always on proC probiotic now because they seemed so much better when they had it a while ago so it obviously does them good. and it should help whilst they're on antibiotics.
i've got to inject them from monday...bit nervous but i'm sure i'll be ok!

i'm worried about matt today. he's quiet and tired. i'm just warming his heatpad because he's colder than normal.
he is eating but i don't think he is eating enough. should i syringe feed him some science recovery? i only have one sachet left though and it says two per kg. should i just do the one and give him some anyway? also, how much and how often because i don't want to fill him up so he doesn't continue to eat what he is now.
they have proC probiotic in the water at the minute but should i try the avipro plus instead?
It's so typical that it's weekend and my vet isn't open.
has anyone got any advice?

i'm worried about matt today. he's quiet and tired. i'm just warming his heatpad because he's colder than normal.
he is eating but i don't think he is eating enough. should i syringe feed him some science recovery? i only have one sachet left though and it says two per kg. should i just do the one and give him some anyway? also, how much and how often because i don't want to fill him up so he doesn't continue to eat what he is now.
they have proC probiotic in the water at the minute but should i try the avipro plus instead?
It's so typical that it's weekend and my vet isn't open.
has anyone got any advice?

If he is eating then I would not syringe feed him. What are his poos like ?

Avipro and Pro-C are almost the same thing, just one has Vit C added (the Pro-C)

I agree, the stress of being syringe fed could put him off eating altogether. I would just kept trying to tempt him with things for now. Can you find any dandelions? they are usually worth a try. Of course if he stops feeding altogether then that's a different matter.

his poops are fine, he's just quiet. he starts to eat and then doesn't want to eat much. could his teeth be hurting him? he had them done friday 13th and was eating fine two hours after and has been since then.
maybe it was the stress of the vets yesterday. takes 40 minutes there and the same back, and the vet was checking him and i had to practice injecting him with penicillin ready for monday when i hve to do it myself.
what do you suggest? just stay with the proC and keep an eye on him?
i'm so down, i just want them to be well. they seem to get better and then get bad again and it's so upsetting. :cry:

can't find any dandelions. he was munching grass before though when they went outside. he didn't sprint round as normal though, he seems to have no energy.

hmmm... i just went to close the window and they both came running over wanting to go outside! so let them out and they were both eating grass so i've sprinkled some on the hay and brought them back in and they've both eaten that and are playing in the lounge now. matt is moving round and seems ok? they confuse me!
i'll keep an eye on him and ring the emergency vets for advice if anything changes.
i'm probably just getting paranoid about them again as usual. i slept in the lounge again last night because i wake up regularly and can be near them and see they're ok.
seem ok for now though, matts still more tired than normal though.

just offered them some veg and he ran over for it but then wouldn't eat any. it's like he wants it but then won't eat it. could it be something to do with his teeth, even though he had them done?

It does sound like a mouth sort of thing. Maybe his gums or tongue are still sore. He is still on the metacam isn't he?

yes, he's still on the metacam. he was fine yesterday at the vets but then last night just went quiet and tired. could be the stress or maybe the penicillin he had yesterday? maybe it doesn't suit him?

i'm going to give matt his metacam in a minute and i'm going to syringe feed him some water. should i just use normal water like is in the bottles or colled boiled water?

matts had his medicine and some water syringed to him. he just sits in the same place in the cage and won't eat or drink. i just let them outside and he will eat grass but as soon as he comes back in he goes and sits in the same spot and does nothing. his tummy feels full even though he isn't eating much. it's not hard, just full, like after they've eaten bowl of veg.

Back