• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutmeg the wee dental bunny

fiona3

Warren Scout
Nutmeg has been in for another dental on Tuesday. He went for 2 months this time before he needed this one. I only got him home yesterday evening as he took a while to poop. He had eaten but wasnt passing any droppings.

He was fine this morning and had some kale, pellets, drank some water and had some tiny bits of carrot.

When i came home from work tonight he was just lying there. I know the difference from being sprawled out and lounging and that "lying down strangely thing". I shooed him to the other side of his pen (hes inside just now) and he just lay down again. I didnt wait and took him straight to the vet.
The vet said stasis was unlikely after 72 hours but could happen. He didnt seem that concerned and said his tum seemed fine.He put him on the floor and he wandered around a bit but i know he wasnt right.

He examined his tum and seemed ok, he said they could take him in and syringe feed him food and his meds or i could take him home and do it myself as he might do better in his own environment. I took him home.

I brought in his girlfriend Clover who was excited to see him but he wasnt interested at all.:cry:He usually chases her everywhere after coming home from vets. He has now had all his meds again -metacalm, metaclopramide and zantac. I have just syringe fed him fiberplex as well. Hes still very quiet although doesnt seem in pain.

I have some of his pellets that i have mushed up with water to feed hiim with later. I am needing lots of vibes for the wee man. He has been through so much. He was running round his run doing binkeys the day before his dental. I want to do the best for him but hes just not right. I guess im doing the same thing the vet would have done if he had stayed over and i can keep a closer eye on him. I just thought id share my worries around a little! :( Fingers crossed he picks up tonight.

Nutmeg

No hasnt eaten anything since this morning. I guess i can only carry on with his meds, keep him warm and hope for best. I have another appointment at vets tomorrow morning.

Lots of vibes for the little guy xx
When foofoo had stasis we couldn't get her to eat anything then we discovered that if we kept offering her hay again and again she would get annoyed and grab the hay and eat it.

I know how worried you must be as I had a similar problem last weekend with Herbie. He is a dental bunny too and needs his teeth doing very regularly.

To cut a long story short, Herbie didn't bounce back as he normally does after his last dental and my vet feared that he was showing signs of gut stasis. We originally left him at the vets for treatment, but had to fetch him home as he was stressing. The meds that Herbie was prescribed sound similar to what Nutmeg is on. Herbie had intensive treatment for two days: metaclopramide injections every 8 hours, Zantac every 12 hours, 0.2 metacam (6 drops) every 24 hours and vetagesic injections (just for the first day) every 8 hours. In addition we syringe fed Oxbow critical care in 30 ml doses, every 3-4 hours to start with and less as Herbie started to nibble and eat more on his own. Improvement was slow to start with, but by the end of the second day he was looking much better and eating on his own more.

Just thought it might help to share my recent experience as it sounds very similar to yours. Herbie made a full recovery, so don't lose heart. Keep going with those meds and keep him warm and comfortable. Hopefully you will soon start to see some improvement.

We have our fingers and paws crossed for Nutmeg and hope he makes a full recovery.

nutmeg dental bunny

Thanks for your replys. I took him back to the vet on saturday morning and The vet said he had a lot of gass in his stomach. He gave an injection of metaclopromide and the vet suggested hospitalising him. I decided that he would do better at home as i could give him 24 hour care and less stress for him.
I fed him fluids, all his meds and critical care all night. When i woke up in the morning he was still there but still miserable looking. i filled the syringe to give him some more critical care. Well he didnt even have to be held. He just sucked it out himself! :lol: I gave him some greens and he scoffed them. I cant tell you what a relief it was. I brought his girlfriend back in. This is the easiest way to see if he was better and he went daft chasing her round the dining room:love:
He is so much trouble this little guy, but when he sucked up that syringe full of food i could have cried! :D He is absolutley fine now and going to vets on Tuesday for a check. Thanks for sharing your experience with your dental bun. Sorry i didnt reply until now but was a long weekend!

Back