• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To All Rescues...

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
How much discount do your vets give you?

I work in a vets and they have offered 15%. I have worked out that, on their prices, it will cost us £98 to spay and vaccinate a doe - with the 15%. We are asking fpr a set £40 donation for bunnies so we will be making a loss of £58...and that's if the bun is healthy!!!

I hope you don't mind me asking but I need to know if that seem reasonable (bearing in mind I work there!!!)

I know i am a sanctuary rather than a rescue, but I don't get any discount and our vet bills are normally £600 + per month :(

Each rabbit costs us £90 to neuter and vaccinate and our adoption fee is £45 I don't think any rescue on here makes a profit out of rehoming rabbits, it is just as well we are all in it for the animals and not to be millionaires:D

Each rabbit costs us £90 to neuter and vaccinate and our adoption fee is £45 I don't think any rescue on here makes a profit out of rehoming rabbits, it is just as well we are all in it for the animals and not to be millionaires:D

I know! I definately didn't expect to make a profit but didn't expect to lose that much! :( I just want to help our small furry friends :(

How much discount do your vets give you?

I work in a vets and they have offered 15%. I have worked out that, on their prices, it will cost us £98 to spay and vaccinate a doe - with the 15%. We are asking fpr a set £40 donation for bunnies so we will be making a loss of £58...and that's if the bun is healthy!!!

I hope you don't mind me asking but I need to know if that seem reasonable (bearing in mind I work there!!!)

If they use lapinject Vhd vaccine there are 5 doses in the one bottle but they all have to be used in one day so it's worth asking for an extra discount for bringing in 4 or 5 buns together for this :)

If they use lapinject Vhd vaccine there are 5 doses in the one bottle but they all have to be used in one day so it's worth asking for an extra discount for bringing in 4 or 5 buns together for this :)

Hmmm...interesting! They use Cylap at the mo so might have a word in their ear!

Our vets changed to lapinject and still put the price up rather than down :roll: Even when i have around 25 vaccinated at the same time

vets costs vary tremendously..with Chloe's/Steph's area seeming to be very cheap and yours being expensive

We pay £40-ish for a spey..£30-£35 for a castrate..mxyi £12.50..VHD we now get very cheap at £6 per bun if we take 5 at a time(lapinject)..otherwise £14.50 each (cylap)

Our vets bills have averaged over £800 per month for the last few:(

you do have to allow to make that much loss..as even if you find cheaper prices..one ill bun can take all your funds in one swoop

this is one reason why many of us advise people to foster first and not jump in..as even if your limit your numbers..you can suddenly find a number dumped on your doorstep and you're in trouble:(

I do believe some places which don't neuter, vaccinate, homecheck and are not willing to treat ill bunnies do make a profit..but then I wouldn't call them rescues:?

You should shop around! That's really mean!

They are the best rabbit savvy vets for miles around and they are just at the end of my road so great for emergencies.

One of the vets who we are good friends with asked the partners if they would give me a discount as we spend so much but they wouldn't even though the last couple of months have been £900 each :(

we get a 10% discount, because I work there, but I also get lots of little perks, especially when I bulk buy vaccines.
Liz, I would ask for a discount, a receptionist asked the vets about a discount for us, before I worked there or we became a sanctuary, and we got 15% off wormers and flea treatments- and that was just because she asked.

we get a 10% discount, because I work there, but I also get lots of little perks, especially when I bulk buy vaccines.
Liz, I would ask for a discount, a receptionist asked the vets about a discount for us, before I worked there or we became a sanctuary, and we got 15% off wormers and flea treatments- and that was just because she asked.

Like I said Jen already had a meeting with the partners to ask on our behalf but nothing came of it. Jen use to knock a lot of our bill where she could but obviously got in to trouble for it as she now charges us for everything too. It was good of her to try though :)

Like I said Jen already had a meeting with the partners to ask on our behalf but nothing came of it. Jen use to knock a lot of our bill where she could but obviously got in to trouble for it as she now charges us for everything too. It was good of her to try though :)

Sorry, I didn't read it properly, still even though they are a business, most vets are generous to rescues. Perhaps the threat of going somewhere else might make them reconsider. We regularly pay £700-£800 vet bills, and we pay them outright every month, most vets would be loathe to lose clients like that. I might be worth a try.:D

Back