• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting harder to purchase wood based litters?

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Went to the local farm shop yesterday to purchase a bale of easibed and he told me they hadn't got any. I use it for the buns litter trays. He said it was getting harder to get hold of due to the climate last year and lack of wooded products. Any woodbased cat litter is also hard to get hold off. Anyone else come across this.

Had to buy some woodshavings instead as I needed something - I was desperate!

I thought is was not a good idea to use wood-based products for rabbit litter? Something to to with the ammonia in urine reacting with it to produce chemicals that can cause liver damage. I always use hay and straw instead :?

Its only certain litter that causes a reaction. I use Easibed but havent tried to buy any for a while. Hope i can get some.

Oh thats strange - my shop told me this too at the weekend. They said shavings and wood pellets were in short supply and they'd started selling some stuff which was larger chunks of wood chippings and short strands of hay all mixed up and smelt of eucalyptus. Would that stuff be any good to use for buns?

I thought is was not a good idea to use wood-based products for rabbit litter? Something to to with the ammonia in urine reacting with it to produce chemicals that can cause liver damage. I always use hay and straw instead :?

It's phenols in the wood that are thought to stimulate the liver and cause damage - these phenols are only in softwoods like pine, not hardwood like aspen, and kiln-drying can get rid of the phenols, but as lots of the wood products for animals don't specify what wood is used and how it's been treated I personally avoid it all.

Back