• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny pulling out fur on the other one- HELP!!

meelsy

New Kit
I have had my little boy Ghost for a couple of years now and decided to get him a little sister- Smokey. They LOVE each other which is great, however I have noticed now that Smokey has a bald patch on her forehead. Ghost loves to preen her all the time but I think he is pulling out the fur. She doesn't seem to be fussed and it can't be hurting her as she goes back for more...

Does anyone know how to stop this?:D

I think everyone is going to ask if they are neutered or not?

I'm not sure why a boy would be pulling out the fur on a girls head though.

There was an article about this a couple of years back in Rabbiting On, I think. Overgrooming can stem from boredom, frustation, insecurity etc but may also be down to being weaned too early. From what I remember the cure in this case (as with many other bunny problems) was to cut down on the pellets and get the bunny grazing on hay all day instead of it's companion! Can't remember much else about it but maybe someone else still has the article :)

Winston does this to Angel on back of neck she has chunks missing. Although he gets wrong when we catch him doing it.
Wouldn't worry too much its spring you'll find he'll stop later in year as does Winnie but for now its Lurve.

yeah Ghost is desexed..... I think you may be right that he needs more hay and less pellets... will try this and keep you posted!

btw- It's summer here as I am in Australia..... so they shouldn't be THAT frisky!!! lol

Back