• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits Dream?

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Fiver scared the hell out of me last night! I know i am probably sounding stupid but i need to make sure it wasn't anything bad. Sorry for the long post.

I was watching Fiver in his run (which is next to my bed) and watched as he laid down. He looked in an awkward position and i noticed he was chattering his teeth a little bit every now and again. Of course alarm flags went up and i immediatly thought he may have stasis or something as he seems uncomfortable or in pain.
Instead of running around panicking i decided to watch him a bit longer to make sure i wasn't overreacting.
He then sort of winced.. closed his eyes and starting twitching his head and ears... But it was as if he was dreaming. He then slowly but surely lowered his head to the floor and leaned over to his right. I panicked then as it looked as though he was keeling over in a fit or something.. so i jumped up and he immediatly snapped up alert and giving me a confused look.

I sat back down and watched him further but he seemed perfectly ok. He then laid down properly and repeated the twitchiong again after a few minuets with his eyes closed :?

I was very worried as i've never seen him do this before or hear about rabbits twitching in their sleep.

Afterwards he got up and went for a hop round the run so i decided to pick him up and put him on my bed which he protested against and starting growling and scratching me and plucking at my clothes. After a while i managed to calm him down a bit so i could check his teeth to make sure it wasn't his teeth which were hurting him. They looked fine and after i returned him to his run he continued on his merry way, eating pellets, pooing and grooming himself.

Could anyone tell me if he was just dreaming or could there be something wrong? i don't want to go to the vets and be told he was only dreaming :shock:

does sound like he was dreaming to me! or whatever the bunny equiv really is! my Indi does that, lies down upright, the starts to twitch, especially her face, and wiggle her jaws, then slowly keels over! :lol::roll: she usually snaps out of it as her head touches the floor! i dont think its anything to worry about if everything else is normal.

oh thank god!! haha i must say he had me super worried!!! Well i feel silly now haha :)

Thankyou very much for replying. I'm so glad he was only dreaming.. bless, wonder what he was dreaming about hehe.

:)

Back