• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to bond

stoney1

New Kit
I've just had Lola spayed last weekend (which was quite traumatic enough!) and want to bond her with our new little boy who is only about three months old and hasn't been done yet as he's too young. She's nearly a year old. Can we start to bond them or should we wait until after we've had him done.

I've read some info on here about bonding...I think it was the diary on here, where the buns gradually started 10 mins a day together increasing over about a week to being together full time. Other posts suggest starting in a confined space and putting them together straight away...I'm not sure which is better. Lola has the base of an indoor hutch in the garage, if I washed it with 50:50 water/vinegar and put the wire top on could I use that in a neutral room in the house?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I had rabbits when i was little and now wanted Lola to have a little friend to play with!:wave:

Dont attempt to bond her with an intact male- he will be too hormonal and try to hump her all the time. This could then lead to fights.

A female needs to be left at least 2 weeks after an operation to make sure she is healed, a male will still be fertile for up to 6 weeks after his so needs to be kept away from any un-spayed females. You should also really wait about 6 weeks before bonding him anyways for his hormones to calm down but it depends on the bunny and some say u can bond him after 2 weeks.

Sorry just re-read your post- if he is 3 months old it should only be another month or so before his bits drop. As soon as they do he can be done so keep a look out for them!

Wait until the little boy has been "done",give him a few weeks for him to heal and for his hormones to start dying down.Start bonding in a neutral,small place and dont separate [unless real aggression is shown].Continually separating them will break any bond.Chasing,fur pulling and humping is normal-they need to sort out dominance.Be prepared to spend a lot of time with them-do it if you are on holiday or have a free weekend,or alternatively ask a rescue if they can help.Good luck:D

There is danger of a female trying to castrate a male if he continually tries to hump her when she is not interested. it's not worth the risk. Best to wait a few more weeks until he's safely healed from his op :)

when to bond

Thanks for your replies, I will certainly keep them apart for a few more months then and until he's been done too. :)

Back