• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New friend for Zoolander

Hi there, I have booked my boy bun Zoolander in to be castrated next week. Feel quite sick at the thought as it makes me feel like I'm being cruel to him. Don't know why, it just makes me feel very uncomfortable. However, the reason I have decided to go for it is that up till now he has been a lone bunny and I want to give him the best chance of finding a lifelong friend. I know that it will take a while for his male hormones to settle after the op but is there anyone who could advise me how long to give it ideally. Also I would like to try to find a rescue that would be willing to help try to bond him with another rabbit. We live in the York area and are happy for home checks etc to be done.

How old is Zoolander? I've found some bucks are ready for bonding after about 2 weeks once their 'bits' have healed, while others take longer to calm down and 4-6 weeks is more appropriate.

It tends to depend on age & temperment, older and more dominant characters usually take a little longer to settle whereas youngsters caught early on often don't even get the chance to experience the effects of their hormones. :)

If he is to be bonded with an unspeyed doe (though this isn't adviseable) it's recommended you wait 6 weeks to ensure he is fully infertile.

Thanks for your advice. He's about 2years old. Will give it plenty of time just to make sure and give him the best chance to find someone to bond with. I can't tell how dominant he is as he is our first bun so don't have experience of another to compare him with. He seems very happy, friendly, confident and cheeky with no 'issues', but I don't know how he will be with another rabbit!:roll:Fingers x we can get him sorted though with a good pal. Thanks again.:wave:

hello shanmissycasscass regarding your male we usually say two weeks for his bit to heal and depending on the rabbit 4 weeks for him to settle down.
im a foster RSPCA Goole & district and if we have any single female in what you would like to rehome then we have a bonding process set up here. i live in howden which is not far from you :wave:

Back