• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur?

petparadise123

Mama Doe
hi, i have noticed that on some threads here people mention giving rabbits panacur. i have never heard of this before,can i ask what it does for them? sorry if i sound stupid:oops: thanks

It helps treat intestinal worms and a protozoa called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi which can affect the nervous system & some vital organs.

i remember asking a vet a couple of years ago (not the vet i use now) about worming rabbits and he said it was not possible for them to get worms...:roll: i use panacur for my dog regularly. do rabbits need worming regularly then?

Last edited:
hi, i have noticed that on some threads here people mention giving rabbits panacur. i have never heard of this before,can i ask what it does for them? sorry if i sound stupid:oops: thanks

oops-that sound as though i have never heard of panacur-what i meant is that i have never heard of using it for rabbits,:oops:

Run a search on E.C (E Cuniculi) in the search box above - A 6 week course of Panacur (either the rabbit paste or the liquid) is required to treat E.C which is horrible and has many side effects.

A preventative 9 day course of Panacur should be given to protect againt active E.C spores and worms 2-4 times per year.

i remember asking a vet a couple of years ago (not the vet i use now) about worming rabbits and he said it was not possible for them to get worms...:roll: i use panacur for my dog regularly. do rabbits need worming regularly then?

its not often you see worms most use it to treat ec two of my buns have had worms and my vet even kept a sample as she knew they got them but hasnt seen them before :lol: my buns gift to the vet

I didn't realise until speaking to my vet that a 6 week course was required to treat EC. The Panacur box says dose for 9 days and mentions EC as though 9 days treatment applies to this condition as well as any worms. Have I missed something in the small print? My vet said that the 6 weeks is a one off and doesn't need to be repeated throughout the bun's life. Is this what owners on here generally do? Any advice/thoughts?

Most vets and the instructions state 28 days to treat EC, however recent reseach suggest a 6 week course should be given to receive full benefits.

The 6 week course is only given at times when the E.C is active. A bunny may show symptoms, gets given panacur and recovers and then 2 years later has another episode. If this happens another full 6 week course will be required.

Any bun, previously active or not should ideally be panacured for 9 days 2-4 times anually. :)

It's up to you. As mentioned before it's not just for worming. It helps prevents your buns having an active bout of E.C (most buns are carriers though live their whole lives without showing any signs).

If I were you I would do a little research on the symptoms of E.C so you know how horrific it is (I am trying to get a bun through it currently and she has seizures).

To be honest you can buy panacur for under £5 online so I would certainly continue giving all my buns a 9 day dose at least twice a year and at times of high risk (bondings etc).

My Jet will hopefully recover and she will be given a 9 day dose 4 times a year and *if* she shows signs of being active again will receive the 6 week dose and a trip to the vets :D

I didn't realise until speaking to my vet that a 6 week course was required to treat EC. The Panacur box says dose for 9 days and mentions EC as though 9 days treatment applies to this condition as well as any worms. Have I missed something in the small print? My vet said that the 6 weeks is a one off and doesn't need to be repeated throughout the bun's life. Is this what owners on here generally do? Any advice/thoughts?

The official datasheet for panacur rabbit is here - http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Int...ur_Rabbit___18_75_ACU-_Oral_Paste/-42086.html

It does make quite clear that 9 days is for preventative treatment and 28 days (although many vets now do 6 weeks) if there are signs of E.C clinical infection

Back